Side Table Build

pkinneb

23 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Really nice job, Paul. You're rolling through this one.

Thanks Mick! Yeah after the bar stools I have a couple of shorter projects before my next big one which will be the Morris chair and ottoman later this year. Kind of fun to start and finish a project in a few weeks rather than several months.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Thanks Mick! Yeah after the bar stools I have a couple of shorter projects before my next big one which will be the Morris chair and ottoman later this year. Kind of fun to start and finish a project in a few weeks rather than several months.

I'm also doing a Morris chair and ottoman this fall.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Nice work man.  Yeah that tapering jig scares me because the workpiece is not secured.  At the very least I'd rather use some double-stick tape and just line up some marks.  I make 5-minute jigs with toggle clamps for tapering.

I've also done the reverse tapered leg before.  It can look cool in the right piece.

Eric yeah that would be a much safer approach and not take much longer if at all to knock out. Thanks for sharing!

That is a beautiful piece!

• Like 1

The Bessey auto adjust toggle clamps are great for jigs like that. I hold them in place with 6 square drive screws and swap them from jig to jig as needed. Rockler & a few others make the auto adjust toggle clamps now. Being able to adjust the clamping pressure and not have to worry about having to adjust for a specific part thickness is worth their cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bgreenb said:

Paul you do some really clean work man.  Nice job.

Can you comment on the Paolini rule and what makes it so useful (or moreso than a standard combo/double square)?  I've never really understood that one but it could just be that I'm missing something. 

Thanks! 

I have had the Paolini rule for a few months now and I find it's my go too small rule. I wear a apron and its always front and center along with my 4" square. For me its the stop that makes it a game changer if I need to mark multiple parts inside of a couple of inches I set the stop and go. The rule is wider than my standard 6" rule, as well as my 4" square, so it makes it easier for me to mark off the end. I still use the other two but this has definitely taken over the front seat I only use my other 6" rule on occasional my 4" square for 90 degree measurements. Full disclosure my 6" rule and 4" square are both Starrett so quality tools i just really like this Paolini rule. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I went back and looked up Kevin's table to understand the pinwheel top. That's going to be very interesting ! What are you planning for the central medallion?

Going to try a Kumiko panel thinking about staining it to match the ebony cuffs on the legs...that's if it turns out LOL

7 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

thinking about staining it to match the ebony cuffs

Maybe you should just add a check mark to your man card and make the Kumiko panel out of ebony. :)

Table looks good there setting in the back ground.  Its amazing how visual an 1/8 of an inch can be in something like a table top.

1 minute ago, Chet said:

Maybe you should just add a check mark to your man card and make the Kumiko panel out of ebony. :)

Table looks good there setting in the back ground.  Its amazing how visual an 1/8 of an inch can be in something like a table top.

LOL I actually thought about for a quick second then went yeah that isn't going to happen. Just the fear of messing up ebony (gold) will keep me from trying it. 

Ultimately whatever I use will be covered up by the craftsman lamp that will be sitting on the table...well once I make it :)

So I was able to get some shop time this week and got the top layout complete, surprisingly this took a fair amount of time.

59c52cfa1caf4_SideTable56.JPG.777ae4c9df31178f671fd8ee471e0557.JPG

Then I laid out the mortises

59c52cfb91cbf_SideTable57.JPG.a1ead994ae8c802ff498a79dd8dffcd0.JPG

Next up was to sharpen my HCM bit only to find out my HCM will not work for this because the pieces are to wide at 8 3/8" doh...well I did such a fine job you get to see the pics regardless LOL

59c52cfd405b6_SideTable58.JPG.f1ae5cc6a89e797d65ad19f58f77b7e1.JPG

59c52d0077432_Sidetable60.JPG.6bf0991a40cd1816d070a231ad990096.JPG

Since I now had to wait for a 3/8" spiral bit to arrive I made the blocks to mount the top and installed them

59c52d020869e_SideTable61.JPG.70b151469136bbbabdebdeb13632cab5.JPG

59c52d03c6aa2_Sidetable62.JPG.dbbb536a8cbd7f3ee11a2b6cd934da16.JPG

Next up finish construction of the top and then on to fuming and finish.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chet said:

I am looking forward to watching (through photos) the fuming process.  Have you fumed before?

I have not so it should be interesting. I am working on some mission style stained glass lamps as well (one will site on this table) and I may start with one of those :).  Either way I will document the process I use which will be the Pekovich plan.