you know it's gonna be a boring week

Eric.

The baseboard is MDF but the casings are primed pine.  Small casings - 2.25"...that's what's in the house already so I guess I'll follow suit.  Yes I'll be coping the base even though I don't want to...gotta do it right.  I'll be crawling and nailing.  My buddies are useless.  No crown.  The basement ceiling is only a bit higher than 7' so it would look weird I think.  Cherry crown above the cabinets in the bar room though.

So this is not still repairs from the fallen tree, good. So you can go at your leisure! Me, I've gotta go right behind the floor guys while the furniture is moved and the grout is drying. Or figure out how to install baseboard from under a king size bed:wacko:! That s*#t was a whole lot easier to remove than install. I've gotta practice my cove as opposed to mitering a non 90* corner. 

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

So this is not still repairs from the fallen tree, good. So you can go at your leisure!

Not sure my wife would classify my pace as "leisure," but rather more like "snail" or "sloth" or perhaps even "dead guy."  I've been working on this basement since we bought this house more than a decade ago.  I made a lot of progress this summer though, and I'm on the home stretch...yet lots of work still remains.

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

MDF base below grade ? Are you stupid ?

LOL  I appreciate the directness. :D

I've lived in this house for 11 years, and I have never...and I do mean never...seen a single drop of moisture in this basement.  The concrete floor has never even felt clammy.  It's just bone dry.  So I felt confident laying engineered floors and using whatever materials I wanted without fear of moisture problems.  It's a walkout basement and the house is up high and has a perfect gradient for rain run-off.  We might get killed in a tornado but a flooded basement is not something I worry about...short of a backed up sewer line in which case any baseboard or flooring is done for.

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

Any chance of a tree smashing the roof again.

Sure hope not. :unsure:  I'm out of trees that could do that kind of damage.  My neighbor has a giant dead white oak that could take out part of my fence and my shed (and a large part of my lumber collection)...but it looks like it's gonna fall the other way when it goes.  Of course I said the same thing about mine. LOL

• Like 1

I think if the neighbor knows the tree is dead his insurance company will deny any claims. If the tree takes out your shed or fence then repairs & cleanup are on you or your homeowners policy anyways. If shed and fence aren't specificly included they won't cover squat. Neighbors tree can take out your fence and landscaping but if it doesn't touch your house you get to cover the cleanup. Might be different in your state but that's how it's played out around here.

7 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I think if the neighbor knows the tree is dead his insurance company will deny any claims. If the tree takes out your shed or fence then repairs & cleanup are on you or your homeowners policy anyways. If shed and fence aren't specificly included they won't cover squat. Neighbors tree can take out your fence and landscaping but if it doesn't touch your house you get to cover the cleanup. Might be different in your state but that's how it's played out around here.

No that's true, that's how it is in MO as well.  Doesn't matter who owns the tree, the property owner is responsible for their own repairs and removal.

However, we don't have a typical insurance provider.  My wife is a teacher and we are insured by Horace Mann, who insures educators exclusively.  They are a fantastic company (which is obviously rare with insurers) and they really do go the extra mile for their customers because they operate only on word-of-mouth, so their reputation is everything to them.  After the tree fell on our house, they were fantastic and I didn't have to fight them on anything.  They covered the damage to the fence (and our bed, which honestly was still usable) and they even paid for the tree removal - and from my understanding that is not typical.  The only thing they didn't cover were some of my landscape plants, one of which was very valuable - a fairly mature Japanese maple that I paid more than $400 for a couple years prior.  But they gave me almost a thousand dollars to repair a stone wall that I had built in an afternoon...and put back together in about 15 minutes. LOL

But yes you're right...typically homeowners get screwed when a neighbor's tree falls on their property.  At the very least you're out the deductible.

13 minutes ago, Eric. said:

But yes you're right...typically homeowners get screwed when a neighbor's tree falls on their property.  At the very least you're out the deductible.

Most of the time that's true, but if you can product a paper trail where you've alerted your neighbor to the problem and potential damage and they've refused to deal with it, you can often make headway with a claim, at least around here.