Dewalt magnetic tape measure

Minnesota Steve

A few weeks ago I saw this mentioned on Finewoodworking's youtube channel.

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/hand-tools/measuring-and-layout-tools/9-ft-magnetic-pocket-tape-measure/dwht33028

So I decided to buy one to try... $6 at Home Depot.

And I have to say it's very handy.   It's only 9' but that's more than enough for most tasks, and having that magnet really helps.   I just stick it to the front rail of my table saw, and it's always there when I want to quick measure something.   The tape is fairly thin and flexible, and it pulls out smoothly and the locking mechanism is easy to operate.   It's fairly light, easily fits in a pocket... and I love that magnet.   Going back to buy another one.

This is the video from finewoodworking showing it off... he also mentions the belt clip, and while I don't tend to use one, it is just a straight bar on the back giving about 1/8" clearance so it'd easily go over the edge of an apron pocket without having to fight it like most clips.

• Like 2

Take along your favorite steel rule and find a few that match up to it well.  It took me a few tries to get some tapes that match up to my other rules and the small extra effort pays off.  I run the Lee Valley right-to-left 10 footers at $6.95 each.  I removed the belt clip and added a magnet so I guess there's some additional cost to get to the end-game.  Those DeWalts are a bargain.  Thanks for sharing.

Image result for vinyl tape measure

For years I have used the little guy in the picture above. I didn't really start using it daily until the case broke from dropping it (yeah it was a cheap advertising give-away). After it broke open, I removed the vinyl tape which is 3' long and about a 1/4 wide. I hang it on my dust collector when not in use :D. I love this thing! I'm not fighting the traditional steel blade that twists and jumps off the board...come on, it's happened to you and the worst part, wishing you had a third hand after holding the tape still to mark that pencil line.

It simply lays flat across the board, no issues.  

-Ace-

6 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

the traditional steel blade that twists and jumps off the board...

Fat Max doesn't do that.  It has a stiff blade and a substantial hook.  It also has a lock so you don't need that third hand. :)

Seriously, I challenge anyone to try a 16' Fat Max in their shop for a year then come back and tell me they prefer something else.  I'll mail you a pork chop.

41 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Fat Max doesn't do that.  It has a stiff blade and a substantial hook.  It also has a lock so you don't need that third hand. :)

Seriously, I challenge anyone to try a 16' Fat Max in their shop for a year then come back and tell me they prefer something else.  I'll mail you a pork chop.

Yeah I get it Eric, I never was a fan of those big honking tapes. I like the thinner tapes that easily fit in the hand. It goes back years ago when I was welding. They fit nice in my coveralls pocket. The big boys you had to put down and I was constantly looking for where I put it last. I bet it’s a great tape. Make it a T-bone and I’ll consider it :P

-Ace-

53 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I have two of them but a free pork  chop sounds inviting.

IMG_0436.thumb.JPG.0bbf57a1a6a4f739a80f309547f26a3b.JPG

9 hours ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Yeah I get it Eric, I never was a fan of those big honking tapes. I like the thinner tapes that easily fit in the hand. It goes back years ago when I was welding. They fit nice in my coveralls pocket. The big boys you had to put down and I was constantly looking for where I put it last. I bet it’s a great tape. Make it a T-bone and I’ll consider it :P

Well the fatness is definitely the one drawback.  The 16 footers fit comfortably in your hand but you're right that they don't fit in a pocket.  But the wide blade is also what makes them such exceptional tapes that don't have that issue with popping off the end of the board...and why they have such long erections.  When I'm at the yard I keep it clipped to my pocket (all my pants and shorts have torn up left pockets LOL) but I have about a half dozen in the shop so they're always within arm's reach.

I can't afford a t-bone.

On 10/4/2017 at 9:56 PM, Eric. said:

I prefer the old Powerlock, just because I 'm so used to them that I don't have to think about using one.  They changed the ergonomics on the Fat Max just enough that it doesn't feel natural to me, but that from more than half a lifetime using Powerlocks.  I do like the tape in the Fat Maxes a little better, but not enough to make me switch.