watch cabinet for 60 watches

treeslayer

3 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm guessing that came from the 'upholstery' section of your local sewing / fabric shop?

Thanks Ross, actually i got it at walmart, its fairly thick and feels like suede but of course its not, i've used it before and its thick enough that i don't have to worry about the Super 77 bleeding thru.

Awesome, I just caught up on this.  I like the rounded cabinet and agree that this gives it a better look for this sort of piece.  The watch drawers and pen trays are top notch.  I'm old enough to have a few watches and pens but, nothing that would put a dent in that storage / display piece.  Beautifully done and a nice ride-a-long; I always enjoy these.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good Dave and I am glad you are able to get back in the shop.  Your past few week wouldn't have been conducive to turning on power tools but I bet there is a good feeling know that life challenges are to the point of letting you get back at it.

16 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great! How did you make the pen trays?

Thanks @pkinneb, i borrowed a router bit for the CNC router where i used to work that was 3/4" wide and with slightly rounded bottom corners, sprayed 3M Super77 and put on the fake suede fabric. routed the grooves on the router table and framed with butternut.DSCN1109.thumb.jpg.7729874304a35ab9a154ecc73fdc9af7.jpgDSCN1108.thumb.jpg.bf4710899887b73cae03855f416bf609.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, treeslayer said:

finally got back in the shop!!! DSCN1134.thumb.jpg.ae5c689682dbf83b1f944fb100739c21.jpg

these are test pieces for the inlay on the pulls, free hand 1/8" bit, too lazy to set up a guideDSCN1135.thumb.jpg.1d263c23d920c73ca8645740502a1afb.jpg

router set up with half round bit and inlay installedDSCN1137.thumb.jpg.474c2c7cfd48ec8170b541de771d4b44.jpg

butternut drawer fronts with walnut pulls, butternut inlay. the space at the bottom is for the door that will slide underneath, space at the top is for a door stop that will have magnetic catches to pop the door open, no pull on the door, i wanted to go for a nice clean look on the door with no pull.DSCN1140.thumb.jpg.5b35b9e62e8c39abdfd6a680aab19afd.jpgDSCN1142.thumb.jpg.6325cae6950865d2946db07ff5e0912f.jpg

this is the top drawer that will hold is pen collection, top one slides, bottom one is removable if he does not need it and for cleaning, the rest of the drawer is for watch parts. On to the front door next, butternut center with walnut inlay like the sides and top, vertical breadboard on the left and right to match the walnut on the top. sorry for the delay guys, as you know other things have been on my mind and i didn't feel that running power equipment was a good idea. hopefully i can stay in the shop now and finish this project up, thanks for looking, comments and questions are always welcome.

Okay, you say questions are always welcome!  I'm holding you to it.   The watch thingy is beautiful work, and an excellent example of top quality.  My question ain't got nothin to do with that......... LUCY?  Hows that girl doing?  I know you are an excellent worker in wood. That's a given... But it's been worrying me, since we found out she has problems.  How is that little girl doing??????? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichardA said:

How is that little girl doing??????? 

I'll be posting some pictures of me holding her on Sunday i hope, we have a bug or something going around our family and we aren't sure how close we should be to her.  she went home yesterday and is making amazing progress. Thanks for asking Rick, and right back at ya on that excellent woodworker comment, i've seen your work and its some of the best I've seen. 

• Like 2

DSCN1149.thumb.jpg.5a6a59fbf3be52502af587e036d7f4e4.jpg

I got some more done on this never-ending project, made and inlayed the door and breadboard ends. they will be screwed on using oversized holes to account for wood movement and probably a little glue in the center.DSCN1143.thumb.jpg.362294b8141570c572a1f3291698162d.jpg

this shows how the door will slide under the bottom drawer, not cut to length yet.DSCN1146.thumb.jpg.5c4d667484440dec2a1a857d38550f94.jpg

the next two shots are of the hardware from http://www.gerstnerusa.com, its just two small metal plates for the pins to slide in and when the door is pulled out the pins drop into the vertical channel to hold it in place. the metal pins ride in the channel that you see and keep the door from riding on the bottom of the case.DSCN1148.thumb.jpg.dd7a821d7bbbc6bb7576f4aa7b05f3e4.jpg

pretty simple i think, no instillation instructions included but none are needed really, and for the price, 10 bucks, i think it will work just fine. I'm sure there are better ways out there, there always are. i pushed the nails in with a channel lock pliers and a scrap block of wood to keep from damaging the case.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

And you’ll be using magnets to keep the door in place? 

Thats the plan Coop, push to open spring catch magnets, i don't know if i'm going to like the look of the magnets but they should be concealed somewhat under the top of the case. i didn't want to use any type of pull or handle on the front so that was my solution. And you bet, the shop feels like and old girlfriend, warm and comfy and doesn't  talk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1