watch cabinet for 60 watches

treeslayer

6 minutes ago, Eric. said:

.you have 60 watches?

not me E, i haven't worn a watch since i retired 15 years ago, its for a friend who has been collecting his whole life, all high end stuff, if there's room in the watch parts drawer i'm going to make a place for his collection of expensive pens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Curious it appears your inlay template is raised above the work piece is that correct?

yep @pkinneb, when i made the templates i made them out of 1/4 inch scrap i had around and the guide would drag on the piece i was inlaying so i doubled them up, amateur mistake that i won't make again.

• Like 1

I've had a electronic gizmo of some sort in my pocket for the last 30 + years, all had a digital clock. Watches never survived long in my world, digital or wind up. But a cabinet to hold a collection of useless antiquities sounds quite interesting !

Butternut isn't available much around here. But the little I've worked with was some nice stuff. 

1 hour ago, Llama said:

I want to see this thing once it has the watches in it.

Me too:)

30 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Butternut isn't available much around here. But the little I've worked with was some nice stuff. 

its been a while since i've worked with it too Steve, its soft for a hardwood and tends to fuzz up when sanded, a little shellac and knock it down with some 320 does the trick, i just needed to work with something different this time. it is some pretty stuff and i see why they call it "white walnut".

10 minutes ago, Tom King said:

to continue the inlays through the Walnut edges, out of Butternut, that match the sweep of the mating parts?

Good question Tom and i initially thought of that and switch to butternut where it passes thru the walnut, double stick tape the pieces to the bench and careful layout as to where the inlay passed thru the dovetails maybe, i think there is a way for sure but i always planned on using a round-over router bit on the dovetails on the top of the case and the inlay would have to be very deep for it to continue from the top to the sides of the case. i rounded over the dovetails on a walnut hope chest i made for my daughter and liked the effect so thats the plan for this project.

24 minutes ago, RichardA said:

That's gonna be slicker than a Christmas ribbon.

Thanks Rick, i wanted this to be not like anything i have done in the past and build something a little out of my comfort zone, to be honest i go back and forth at this point as to whether i like it or not, it is different and thats what i was going for, i'll see how i feel tomorrow when i put some finish on it.

30 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Will you be attaching the drawer runners prior to glue up or after?

thanks Ken, full extension drawer slides on this one Coop per my friends request. i was going to make full extension wood dovetail slides but i'm glad he wanted ball bearing instead, wood would have been a lot more work. working on the drawers today, should have some more pictures tonight.