Veritas Shooting plane vs my Lie-Nielsen LAJ

Tony Wilkins

If you are getting good results and there are other basic tools that you need, I would probably put it toward those.  If the shooting plane is the only tool you need to complete what you want in your shop then it would be a worth while purchase.

For years, I got by with planes I had.  A job came up where we had hundreds of pieces to fit in an inlaid floor repair, so I bought the LV Shooting Plane.  I wish that it had been available decades ago.  It takes almost all of the skill out of fitting something perfectly.   I've been hoping for another job to come up that will require me to buy the left handed version, but so far, hasn't.

post-14184-0-63654900-1406231482_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The LN is more expensive because it uses more metal. 9 lbs for LN 7.75 lbs LV. The casting mold for the LN looks more complex and it looks like there might be more parts. Those factors make it more expensive. Is it worth it .... idk.

I own the LV shooter and there are no corners cut, it really is a great plane. I also am a PMV-11 fan, i feel it takes a bit sharper of an edge than A2.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:51 PM, Tony Wilkins said:

I currently use a Lie-Nielsen low angle jack for shooting.  I have some money from a relative to spend on a gift.  Would a Veritas Shooting plane be enough of an upgrade to sway me to use that money on it?

I use the LN LAJ too. LV makes a great shooting plane, but I will eventually buy the LN, just because all my planes are LN and I don't want to innovate, I'm very satisfied with their tools and customer service.

That said, LV also sells some very useful guides for your shooting board. LN has nothing in that department. That's been stopping me from placing my order with LN. I guess I will wait until they offer something similar, it's not like I really need the plane anyways.

2 hours ago, Tony Wilkins said:

I did Derek and had read it before.  I like your reviews but doesn’t mean I don’t want a wider variety of opinions and experiences.  Think I’ve decided to go with the Lv - which is now out of stock.

:( Sad. I had to wait 1 month for the Ln 140 i bought. It gets delivered tomorrow. Hope your wait isn't as long.