Woodpecker T-Square Sale + Free Mini Sqaure

bushwacked

I have been looking at getting one of these for a long time ... now that they are on sale, annnnnd come with a free mini square, I may jump on this.

However, my question is ... what size should I actually get? I was thinking 24" would be a safe bet, but would that just be too bulky? Would 12" be too little though?

5a0316afe816a_11-8-178-32-03AM.thumb.jpg.ec9374f4f9630d61c00bbe3501f63876.jpg

11 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Free?  I doubt it. You pay for it in the big purchase.

That's rather crumodgoney.  The 32" alone on Amazon is $171. I'm pretty sure people know that marketing tactic but when the sale price is $145 for the 32" + mini and the mini square is normally $23. At some point, it may be actually free. Woodpecker could easily be thinning out an over stock of the mini squares, in which case, you are getting it for no cost and paying less on the main tool.

18 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I agree with the 32". I bought a 24" woodpeckers ruler and now wish i had gotten the 36". It seems a lot more cumbersome than it actually is. I'm not to entirely sure what that mini square would be useful for.

I am not either ... I was thinking maybe aligning tools like jointer or table saw blade ... possibly small boxes? Running out of ideas haha. I have just been wanting one of these for awhile and since they are on sale and adding extra stuff to it ... figured I may look hard into it.

31 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm not to entirely sure what that mini square would be useful for.

Yeah I'm kind of coming up empty also.  I like my square to be resting on the metal of the table instead of the insert so I wouldn't use it for the table saw. Maybe for checking the jointer fence.

I was thinking it would be a nice transfer square for joinery but without a raised lip on one side, I'm not sure how useful it would be for that purpose.

3 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

checking if a chisel edge is square...

or plane iron.  I don't have the mini square but I have a similarly small engineers square that I keep in my apron pocket to check square on the inside corners during glue ups.  I also use it on occasion to check my blade for square to the fence on my miter saw.

Its for free and if you have it you may start to find uses for it. 

I use mine all the time... Mostly for marking lines around a workpiece. It's red, so it doesn't get lost as much as the others... I also use it to align the flag stop on my MFT to the tape measure I added to the fence. Lots of uses come to mind for those of us that spend time in the shop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llama said:

Lots of uses come to mind for those of us that spend time in the shop.

Shots fired!

I have a small engineers square already at my jointer. I have one of those magnetic screw holders and it stays on that with the wrenches for what ever i need to do. I think I've used it once in 2 months.

5a0385d957c65_InternetCabinet003Share.thumb.jpg.ca9a8b1e123e6835cbacc66307e5cff7.jpg

I have patents and copyrights for this so don't even think about stealing it or my lawyer will be contacting your lawyer.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Shots fired!

It didn't sound like that when I said it in my head... but, since we're here... they know who they are :)

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I have patents and copyrights for this so don't even think about stealing it or my lawyer will be contacting your lawyer.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is un-patentable... :)

Every time a bigger square won't fit I reach for the Woodpeckers  mini square. It's surprising how often you can't fit a bigger square in someplace. The relived inside corner has come in handy several times.

What I want to know is who is gonna buy an overpriced, oversized stainless compass ?

• Like 2