Acrylic Pen Blank

thatCharlieDude

2 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

That'll be either awesome or meh.   But either way, wear a face shield, that screams acrylic shower to me :).  Looking forward to seeing that done. 

Glass half full? lol I'm using alumilite so it doesn't chip much but produces long strings like spaghetti it'll make a mess. I drilled the tube hole today and painted the brass tube so it will blend in better. I hope to turn it tomorrow. 

37 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I never have understood the turning the pen thing, and maybe that’s the problem. And I agree, this thing is awesome! But when the well runs dry, can you buy replacement refills? 

Yes, most pen kits use standard pen refills available from Amazon or your local office supply store (Staples, etc.). 

12 hours ago, thatCharlieDude said:

I'm turning pens for family members as gifts. People love them for some reason. 

I agree I have turned over 200 pens mostly acrylic over the last few years. I just glue up blanks in batches I can then turn a pen in 15-20 minutes. They make great gifts and like you say folks really like them.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:51 PM, thatCharlieDude said:

The brass tube gave me the most trouble. I painted it blue so it would be less noticeable but some the paint scraped off. Next time I'll use some besides acrylic paints.

I use acrylic paint all the time, I like the Ceramcoat brand paints.

The trick is to paint the inside of the blank and not the brass. I also always use expoy instead of CA when gluing up the acrylic/alumalite/etc. blanks too.

• Like 1