Veritas medium shoulder plane - sales?

wtnhighlander

I bought the large shoulder plane from them on the weekend. They had a factory second and open box sale at a number of stores, including the Halifax one. It still was only about 25-30% off the usual price, but I know that's the best you'll do. They usually have more on cyber Monday.

32 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

How about 20% off.  On Black Friday or cyber Monday Lee Valley has a sale on a $1000 gift card for $800, that's 20% off everything you spend your $1000 on.  I will buy another one this year!  It's real easy to spend $1000 at Lee Valley.

This is a good point - never thought of this.

11 hours ago, Cheeset202 said:

How about 20% off.  On Black Friday or cyber Monday Lee Valley has a sale on a $1000 gift card for $800, that's 20% off everything you spend your $1000 on.  I will buy another one this year!  It's real easy to spend $1000 at Lee Valley.

Last year the $1000 cost $850, up $50 from the year before. At least that's what it was in Canada. But it's dangerous getting the gift cards cause that $1000 card seems to get spent very fast, faster than cash would.

I think I'm gonna get 2 this year :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drzaius said:

Last year the $1000 cost $850, up $50 from the year before. At least that's what it was in Canada. But it's dangerous getting the gift cards cause that $1000 card seems to get spent very fast, faster than cash would.

I think I'm gonna get 2 this year :) 

That sucks, it was still only $800 here in the US!  I agree the $1000 goes fast!

Ok, one last question. As an alternative, I am considering the Woodriver 92 medium shoulder plane. It is about $80 less than the Veritas. It lacks the screw adjustment on the moveable toe, and the blade side adjustment screws that the Veritas has. It is also .006" short of 3/4" wide, where the Veritas is 11/16".

Aside from styling, is there really enough difference to justify the cost? Anybody have one they can comment on?

I don't buy into the whole "its chinese, it must be junk" attitude. And before anyone replies to argue that point, make sure you aren't doing it from an Apple product. Can't play the "Made in USA" card either, since Veritas is from Canada. Every review I can find has nothing but good to say about the Woodriver, but very few appear to be from totally un-biased sources.

I'm hoping you guys can convince me that Veritas is actually worth the extra cost. My research to date is not supporting that theory very well.

I don't own any shoulder planes, but I'd like one and considered the same question.   I have a Woodriver #4, a  Veritas LAJ and a LN rabbet block plane.   I bought the Woodriver about 2 years ago, and the other two about six months back.

The Woodriver is pretty decent quality, and it's a lot better than the cheap Buck Bros/Stanley planes I had before.  They do use a cheaper steel for the blade... and it's not sharp out of the box.  It sharpens up easily enough, but it doesn't hold an edge for very long and I've had some problems with tiny knicks on the edge that I then had to spend a lot of time on my coarse stone taking out.   I prefer the A2 in the LN or the PMV11 in the Veritas in that regard.

I guess worst case you buy a replacement blade, I think the LN one would fit so that's maybe $35-40... so there's half your cost difference.  If they weren't 20% off, I would say their planes are not worth buying.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Immortan D, you make a good point, but my primary need is to clean up tenon shoulders. I struggle to get those accurate enough with the machines I own. I almost opted for the small shoulder plane, but figured the medium might be more useful in general.

You should be OK then, unless you're building a workbench or something with shoulders taller than 3/4".

Ross, I have been getting close to making the same purchase and one of the things I have been mulling over is the weight of the Veritas large and medium and I am kind of leaning toward the large from the fact it is 1 3/4 pounds heavier.  My thinking is that you would be able to finesse a tenon easier by just providing the forward motion to the plane, letting the weight provide the downward pressure.  Now having said that, I have no history or scientific fact to base it on,  just me,  thinking it would give you a more even shaving if there was no human factor involved in the downward force.  I know you have a budget but I thought I would throw that out there.

I've never used anything but the large, and small Records that I bought new 40 years ago.  Sweat has long ago taken the nickel plating off the 073.   I've never even thought about the weight of either.  The only things that really matter are the sharpness of the iron, and that it's adjusted exactly right for the job.  If I was going to buy a new one, I'd get the Veritas.  As much as I've used these planes, I always have to fiddle around with the adjustment, and would welcome the Veritas design.