Torches

Immortan D

Recently I've become interested in metal smithing its Paul Sellers fault :P I saw his video on making your own wooden bodied spokeshave.  In the video Paul does some "forging" in heat treating the blade.  Here's the video 

Disclaimer:  Some comments posted for the video by Smiths were critical of Mr. Sellers heat treating method.

In my interest I came upon a Smithing Forum called I forge iron (or something like that) where I found posts on making  a homemade charcoal forge called "JABOD" which stands for Just A/Another Box Of Dirt *loves that.  Im leaning toward making a forge like this or more based on early 1900 portable Army forges.

Interesting video from PS, I always learn new ways to do things when I watch his videos. I guess his goal is to show that things can be done without having to buy a bunch of tools. But since I already have a grinder and I will get a blow torch, I think I'm not going to follow the poor man's path on this occasion  LOL.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Interesting thread. Can any of you be more specific regarding sources for this 'readily available' fire brick?

Fireplace, woodstove and pottery supplies and even on amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Products-604-Fire-Brick/dp/B000UEYZ4S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512093749&sr=8-3&keywords=fire+brick 

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2017 at 8:08 AM, wdwerker said:

I keep forgetting that some of you are geographically challenged !  Living in a regional hub means anything is in a store or warehouse nearby, but the traffic to get there is hell !

Ain't that the truth. I can get anything I want within a 20 mile yet 3 hour round trip

• Like 1

I don't know what these little forges cost normally, but if I had seen this when I made the makeshift one, I would have bought it:

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/tls/d/brand-new-propane-forge/6411041250.html

I just pulled the firebricks in the picture out of my leftover masonry pile, from decades of building houses.

21 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I don't know what these little forges cost normally, but if I had seen this when I made the makeshift one, I would have bought it:

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/tls/d/brand-new-propane-forge/6411041250.html

I just pulled the firebricks in the picture out of my leftover masonry pile, from decades of building houses.

Honestly, if I ever build a forge I'd do it just like yours, Tom, with the bricks. Easy to build, easy to replace the bricks. Unless I turn myself into knife making or something like that.

The bricks stay hot for longer than one might think.  The pattern of black dots in the picture is from a dotted work glove.  Fortunately, it just melted plastic, and no flesh was harmed.

I tried the "forge" with a brick on the end that you can't see in the picture, and without an end brick.  It heated at least twice as fast with the brick on the end.  I also almost had too many irons in the fire in that picture, but I had a helper handling the rods while I did the pounding.

• Like 1