I don't know what to do HELP!

Mr. Redwood

I am extremely annoyed, I made a couple cutting boards a few days and I did everything according to the the label on titebond 3. Let the glue dry for 24 hours, use every clamp I own, leave in a warm stable environment, and yet I still get cracks! They weren't there when I first started sanding and routing, but now after two days of sitting in my house at 75 degrees (a 20 degree difference from my shop) they started to develop cracks on the joints and they also moved vertically so they are no longer flat. I have until Friday night to fix this otherwise I can't give my sister mediocre work. Is there anything I can do? 

P.S There is no way I'm going to redo/Re glue and I already applied oil

Thank you for any input  -Maxim

IMG_20171220_203536716.jpg

IMG_20171220_203550067.jpg

IMG_20171220_203557038.jpg

I meant in that particular cutting board.   Also, did all the joints fit perfectly before glue up?  The way that one joint looks like it rolled open on one side tells me that either they didn't fit perfectly before, or the wood was not really dry.  What method did you use to determine how dry the wood was?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom King said:

No.  I asked about before glue up.  Glue and clamps won't fix a poor fitting joint.  Hopefully, it was just too much clamp pressure, which can easily be remedied next time.

Like i said the joints were flawless before, during and after glue up, a day after is when the started moving 

I'd probably take a chisel and give her a love tap and see if I could get one of the joints to just pop apart.  If it's a glue failure, whether bad glue or overly squeezed out it ought to come apart fairly easy.  If it's a moisture problem it should hold together.  That's my theory anyway.  Going straight to ripping it all apart isn't going to tell you what the problem was in the first place.

• Like 1

Bottom pic shows two surfaces that are not true to each other.  Obviously something happened.  If they fit like a glove before glue up then the material was not as ready for use as you thought or was exposed to some extreme afterwards.  The fact that "90% of the joints have moved" points pretty well to one or the other.

It can be irritating when we feel that we have followed all the rules and still end up with empirical proof that something went wrong.  I totally get you not wanting to share sub-par work.  I too would rather give something I am happy with "late" than rush something that I will have to apologize for.  Rip the failed joints and re-glue if you want to save them but, with just a little more effort you could make them again.

Check every strip for smooth square cuts. I will often run all my strips through the planer or drum sander to clean up the faces. I run a pencil mark on all the surfaces to be glued and then take the absolute lightest pass to remove the mark. If you have snipe issues that will probably not work in your situation.

Titebond 2 works for me.   Do a dry run before you glue it up. This makes you have all the clamps & cauls handy for the real thing. Either glue it up in smaller sections or work a little faster. Covering your cauls with packing tape is a very good idea.

In high school the teacher would test your glued up cutting board by sliding it off the bench & letting it hit the concrete floor. If it survived you could continue to the planer . I think he was fed up with boards self destructing inside the planer. No body used cauls or made end grain boards back then.