Router bit adapters

Alonzo

Every full sized router I've ever had came with a 1/2" and 1/4" collet, and I don't think the dia. of the shank of the bit would make a bit unsafe perhaps the size of the cutter head might. I would go to the craftsman web site that has all ready been mentioned by chestnut.

That sears direct site should have the users manual for the router.  I know it's where I got my TS manual from.  Look it up and see if the router was designed to also use 1/2" shanks.   Sometimes the collet just gets lost and you need to buy a replacement.  Sometimes you should never put a 1/2" collet into a particular router. 

Yellow is a good step up from what you have ! I did a quick search and this combo deal looks decent.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-2-25-HP-Variable-Speed-Combo-Fixed-Plunge-Corded-Router/50037128?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-RoutersAndRouterAccessories-_-50037128:DEWALT&CAWELAID=&kpid=50037128&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1507&k_clickID=ad86a24b-bdb1-4ca9-8ae3-aee75ea42633&gclid=Cj0KCQiAg4jSBRCsARIsAB9ooavkrvk_48FJQ9Nggc35OcZrOUPxeMTPjnOs3BvjgSf_7w86-MMQleEaAq73EALw_wcB

I haven't used this particular router but I have put hundreds of hours on my little Dewalt trim router and it has held up to a lot of abuse. All the rest of my many routers are either no longer made or probably a lot bigger than you need. A plunge base is great for routing mortices and internal cuts. You might not need it now but they can be very handy.

Yeah I'm trying to decide to buy a plunge router or a drill press with a mortise attachment to do my breadboards on a dining table. Personally, I dont see my self using a drill press as much as I could use my router. I'm doing breadboards that are 38" x10"x1 1/2. What would you recommend, router or drill press with mortise attachment?

14 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I’ll also add most drill press mortising attachments are sub optimal.

I agree with this.  I had one that I thought would be decent and it was a real pain to set up each time and it lacked any real accuracy.  This is why  Ido my mortises with a router now.

17 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Yellow is a good step up from what you have ! I did a quick search and this combo deal looks decent.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-2-25-HP-Variable-Speed-Combo-Fixed-Plunge-Corded-Router/50037128?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-RoutersAndRouterAccessories-_-50037128:DEWALT&CAWELAID=&kpid=50037128&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1507&k_clickID=ad86a24b-bdb1-4ca9-8ae3-aee75ea42633&gclid=Cj0KCQiAg4jSBRCsARIsAB9ooavkrvk_48FJQ9Nggc35OcZrOUPxeMTPjnOs3BvjgSf_7w86-MMQleEaAq73EALw_wcB

I haven't used this particular router but I have put hundreds of hours on my little Dewalt trim router and it has held up to a lot of abuse. All the rest of my many routers are either no longer made or probably a lot bigger than you need. A plunge base is great for routing mortices and internal cuts. You might not need it now but they can be very handy.

Great router with a major flaw. The speed control has a good chance of failing and goes straight to max speed. I have had 4 of those routers and 2 of them have had the speed control break. It can be fixed fairly cheap. The magnetic ring breaks and needs to be replaced and probably the bearing as well. But getting the bearing in and out is a bear. If you do a quick google search on it, you’ll see I’m not the first to have the problem. Disappointing as it really is a great router otherwise. Even more so since dewalt clearly knows about the problem and hasn’t fixed it yet.  Or maybe they have on the newest models?  Unless you know for sure the problem has been addressed I would advise against the 618