A good and inexpensive floor treatment for a woodworking shop's concrete floor.

21 minutes ago, MattF said:

I would like to do my floor with the Dri-Core subfloor panels. 

image.jpeg.fe1a6b08969c128c7ceabc9dc0082617.jpeg

There was another thread about these, and they're great for a basement.

The problem with garage floors is that they're intentionally sloped to allow water to drain, and I think it'd be hard to level the dricore.   I guess it depends on how bad the slope is. 

37 minutes ago, MattF said:

I would like to do my floor with the Dri-Core subfloor panels. 

image.jpeg.fe1a6b08969c128c7ceabc9dc0082617.jpeg

I think those would be great over a slab, but I wonder about a shop & heavy machinery. What would concern me is the point load when you're moving a 600 lb (or more) machine on casters across the joints.

16 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

There was another thread about these, and they're great for a basement.

The problem with garage floors is that they're intentionally sloped to allow water to drain, and I think it'd be hard to level the dricore.   I guess it depends on how bad the slope is. 

My shop is in the garage and the floor has a slight slope to it, per design. Its really not enough to bother me. 

7 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I think those would be great over a slab, but I wonder about a shop & heavy machinery. What would concern me is the point load when you're moving a 600 lb (or more) machine on casters across the joints.

I have read reviews of people using this floor in their shops and they say its great. No issues with moving machinery around. Website says they are rated at 4000lbs/square foot, which if my math is correct that roughly 28psi. I feel that should be adequate for a hobbyist shop. 

42 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I think you will hate your life real quick minutes after you start this install. 

What do you think are the benefits of going with this over framing and sheathing a floor?

Why do you think this is a bad product? It seems this would be a pretty simple install with the a shop that is already full of tools. If I was starting with an empty shop, framing and sheathing would be the way to go, still might. I would really like to hear the negatives. 

Also I have 8.5' ceilings and would like to not lose that much height, granted, I could lose a couple inches and not worry. 

Honestly, I would like to go the cheapest route that's not permanent for resale reasons. Shop is in the garage, and the next owner may want to, dare I say it, park in there.

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Why do you think this is a bad product? It seems this would be a pretty simple install with the a shop that is already full of tools. If I was starting with an empty shop, framing and sheathing would be the way to go, still might. I would really like to hear the negatives. 

Also I have 8.5' ceilings and would like to not lose that much height, granted, I could lose a couple inches and not worry. 

Honestly, I would like to go the cheapest route that's not permanent for resale reasons. Shop is in the garage, and the next owner may want to, dare I say it, park in there.

Nice thing about the dricore tiles is you could take them back out and reuse them.

8 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Nice thing about the dricore tiles is you could take them back out and reuse them.

Agreed. When we sell the house, the new owner may not want a floor in the garage. I can stack these up and move them with the shop. I am in no hurry to do this. I finished off insulating the a couple weeks ago. For some reason, the builders decided to leave the front 8 foot of the garage unfinished on both sides. Added insulation and drywall along with insulating the garage door panels. It has made a huge improvement so far.

1 hour ago, MattF said:

I do not think is a bad product as long as it is used the way it was intended. I do not think this is the product to go with having an inch or more slope from the perimeter of your floor to the drain. This would be good for a basement where there is slight waves  but no large intentional slope. I think the square foot weight rating you refer to is when the panel is bearing almost completely on concrete. I think the only way to properly install this in a garage with a slope would be to block off the drain pour self-leveling concrete and install over that. You can use dricore shims but I don't think you can use very many.

6 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I do not think is a bad product as long as it is used the way it was intended. I do not think this is the product to go with having an inch or more slope from the perimeter of your floor to the drain. This would be good for a basement where there is slight waves  but no large intentional slope. I think the square foot weight rating you refer to is when the panel is bearing almost completely on concrete. I think the only way to properly install this in a garage with a slope would be to block off the drain pour self-leveling concrete and install over that. You can use dricore shims but I don't think you can use very many.

I wish my garage had a drain :(. Is that a canadian code to have a drain? It seems like most of the homes around here don't have them. The people I've know that have installed them had nothing but trouble with them.

8 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I wish my garage had a drain :(. Is that a canadian code to have a drain? It seems like most of the homes around here don't have them. The people I've know that have installed them had nothing but trouble with them.

No drain here. Just a slight slope from the house to front of the garage. Floor is flat in the X and Y. You are correct about the shims, they are to be used for small dips and undulations, not leveling. 

-Chestnut- Are you referring to problems with drains, or dricore panels?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've never built a house (or seen a house) without a drain in the garage. Not sure where the trouble would cone from ? People park their cars in the garage full of snow and ice so it needs to go somewhere. Also if you wash your car in the garage, kinda needs a drain. 

I find it interesting that you guys don't have drains. Maybe Matt has no drain therefore no slope? Putting dry core on a garage floor here with the drains and slopes we have would be an absolute nightmare. Pretty much not doable

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I find it interesting that you guys don't have drains. Maybe Matt has no drain therefore no slope? Putting dry core on a garage floor here with the drains and slopes we have would be an absolute nightmare. Pretty much not doable

This varies by local codes. Automotive fluids reaching the environment is a no-no enough in some places that concrete pitches into a trough rather than sinking into a drain well. 

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I've never built a house (or seen a house) without a drain in the garage. Not sure where the trouble would cone from ? People park their cars in the garage full of snow and ice so it needs to go somewhere. Also if you wash your car in the garage, kinda needs a drain. 

People wash cars in the garage? 

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Ahhhhhhh ! Please proceed with the dri core installation LOL.

We have slopes in the garages anywhere from 1-3" , that's what I was picturing.

I see your thought process now. A drain in the garage with the floor slope in 360 would not work for this application.

36 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Also if you wash your car in the garage, kinda needs a drain. 

WHAT@! This HAS to be a Canadian thing. My garage slope is a nice even very shallow grade from the front to the door. All the water just goes to the overhead door and i sweep it out once a week or so with some salt and chunks of ice. Even if i had a drain in my garage i don't think i'd ever wash a car in it. This is just flabergasting. Not in a bad way i think it's awesome.

33 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Automotive fluids reaching the environment is a no-no enough in some places that concrete pitches into a trough rather than sinking into a drain well. 

I'm pretty sure Canadian environmental regulations are more strict than ours. At least i assume so. They must have sumps that have to be pumped or just go to a french drain or something.

1 hour ago, ben_r_ said:

Exactly what I thought too! Wha??? How does that work? Dont the walls get wet along with everything else in the garage?

I have seen many “wash in” garages that we hung steel siding in or saw stucco in. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

WHATI'm pretty sure Canadian environmental regulations are more strict than ours. At least i assume so. They must have sumps that have to be pumped or just go to a french drain or something.

Read more carefully...”some places...” Nationally you may be accurate. Locally you are not.