Roubo Time!! Let’s light this candle!

MattF

7 hours ago, RichardA said:

Is Albert going to be the shop's house mouse?  Nice job on the bench. You're goona love beating it up.

I dont know what he is gonna be. Right now he is a PITA, but to expected from a 3 month old puppy. 

46 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Okay I don't think it gets any better than that an awesome bench and a cute pup :) ...oh and child LOL

Thanks. I am ready to get this bench done. Hoping to complete by this weekend or next. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mark J said:

Let's see what others think, but I believe CA glue is fairly brittle.  So it may not be the best choice for applications which will experience a lot of pounding or bending.

Not to hijack this thread, but I’ll expand on my thought process really briefly—if I’m remembering correctly, awhile back one of the hand tool woodworkers on YouTube did a pretty extensive glue strength test, and the equipment and processes he used looked fancy enough to make me feel like it was fairly reliable and scientific. Anywho, I seem to recall the results indicating that CA Glue is surprisingly strong and a very good filler. But epoxy is proven, just seems like it’ll be much harder to get into these hairline cracks, even heating it up, etc...? Dunno, I’m torn and would love to hear feedback from y’all, and curious to see how MattF addressed! 

22 hours ago, Rockshox said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I’ll expand on my thought process really briefly—if I’m remembering correctly, awhile back one of the hand tool woodworkers on YouTube did a pretty extensive glue strength test, and the equipment and processes he used looked fancy enough to make me feel like it was fairly reliable and scientific. Anywho, I seem to recall the results indicating that CA Glue is surprisingly strong and a very good filler. But epoxy is proven, just seems like it’ll be much harder to get into these hairline cracks, even heating it up, etc...? Dunno, I’m torn and would love to hear feedback from y’all, and curious to see how MattF addressed! 

As of right now I never did anything to fill the crack. With that said, I would use epoxy over super glue. Epoxy will be better for its elongation properties on materials that will move slightly. CA glue is very strong, but also very brittle with no elongation proprieties. For filling the small cracks, you can use small plastic syringe. 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 4:15 PM, pkinneb said:

Nice job Matt!!

Thank you

On 4/20/2020 at 8:42 AM, Chestnut said:

Bench looks great! Now it's time to put it to work.

Thank you. I will be designing and building a sim racing cockpit soon. It will not be anything special, but that is probably the first project. Ever since swing the nascar sim racing on TV I had to try it, now I can’t get enough.

• Like 2