Roubo Time!! Let’s light this candle!

MattF

5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I look forward to following along! Please share your thoughts on working the European Beech I have never worked with that species before. Also huge thumbs up for including your son that is awesome!

I like the Beech so far. I have played with some off cuts to see how it cuts and acts. Very nice to work with, hand tools and power. Knocked out some winding sticks for fun.

C4DDB623-7C09-4A2A-8227-77C9CA5A279A.thumb.jpeg.f7dca859b26c25218ddf1eb73a65bb7b.jpeg

The Beech was $2/bf cheaper than maple in my area.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chet said:

It's a lot easier to take pictures and keep the journal updated when you have an apprentice in the shop to do the grunt work. :)

Love my apprentice, but his help will not make things speedy. It’s ok though, it’s the memories that make slowdown worth it!

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'll have to deal with following other people's journals.

I have been doing that for a few years. Probably read every build thread at least twice.

Electric meter was spinning like a top today. Tried to keep the garage at 70 degrees today. Maintained it, but I used up some electricity. Minimum recommend temp for the West Systems 207 hardner is 60F. Had my normal electric heater going, it can keep it at 65 no problem. Added the halogens for a boost. Temp was holding steady at around 75 on boards and 72 in the garage. It was in the mid thirties outside. 

8E9939F3-2B00-4264-B9EA-C54B9FD8DC55.thumb.jpeg.f3cf9fe552bb49f03ea1cea44c0613ab.jpeg

hoping to start milling pieces for the top slabs tomorrow. 

Saw this desk at an antique shop today. Not really my style, but impressive nonetheless.8F1F55D3-9399-4819-B18B-9F5C27BE2FAB.thumb.jpeg.2dbf0f69a946b02891d95fd833a74511.jpeg570E4F76-9312-4C3F-9EAD-2797CF51FC1A.thumb.jpeg.2b5ce866e4d4b373d698732ff814d11c.jpeg6AC7865B-97DF-4CB8-BF43-61E31F50C330.thumb.jpeg.52d5931b174b13b2f2d4d310fadf4fff.jpeg

• Like 2

Warming the garage definitely helps with the epoxy curing.  Alternatively, just give it more time -  allows for more consumption of Space Dust!

I've started keeping my resin and hardener warm, but allowing the epoxy to cure at 52 degrees (I use System Three.)  That seems to work alright.  It get's to the tack stage quickly, so it's not running all over the place.  It takes a while to fully cure, though.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

That could be confusing, West Systems in brown bottles.

The stuff in the brown bottle is an additive to speed up the process of many different products. I find it most useful for the following products:

-Epoxy

-Glue

-Finish

-Paint

-There are many others and feel free to add to the list!

7 minutes ago, RichardA said:

If I mistake it for a beer, I just might be unhappy.

Haha!

PSA: Before we get too far into this build, I would like for everyone to know, you will see beer in the shop, not a lot, but it’s there. I am a very safety oriented person and know when it’s appropriate or not.

49 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Lookin great so far.  Euro beech (+ a little walnut) is my current plan for a bench build next year.  I think they complement each other well, and I love the q-sawn look of beech on the top of a bench.  Good job involving the kid, I hope to do that someday too.

8 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

European Beech was my plan until I stumbled upon some Ash logs fresh cut and ready to mill into my bench. The look will be fantastic and be an heirloom piece

This is my first time using Beech. I have no complaints so far. Really nice to work with.

• Like 1