Roubo Time!! Let’s light this candle!

MattF

12 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Man you are moving right along! Nice clean work there Matt!

Thanks. Trying to take advantage of some free time. My wife isn’t so happy about the amount of time I’ve been spend in the shop. I figure the amount of work I have put in around the house, I deserve to do something for me. She understands, but still not thrilled.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MattF said:

Thanks. Trying to take advantage of some free time. My wife isn’t so happy about the amount of time I’ve been spend in the shop. I figure the amount of work I have put in around the house, I deserve to do something for me. She understands, but still not thrilled.

What else would you be doing, stare at a rectangle with moving colors that emits sounds?

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

What else would you be doing, stare at a rectangle with moving colors that emits sounds?

Like this?

6787D80C-84EF-483A-A845-132881469CC7.thumb.jpeg.0e86150143e99d66595b76b762373c61.jpeg

I normally only have the TV on when there is a sporting event I want to watch, Daytona 500 is today. It’s connected to an old desktop as the monitor. Normally I just stream music.

But I agree, I’m not a big TV watcher. Have a few shows I enjoy, but don’t really watch that much. 

5 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Agree on Space Dust and Fresh Squeezed; never heard of Top Cutter.

Here’s a shot of the Top CutterAA7B4946-AFCD-4297-B900-F41C54E9647A.thumb.jpeg.598fd42313ea8daedb7244089af3b794.jpeg

they also have a Bottom Cutter which I find a little better. It has a high IBU count, but a lot higher alcohol content.

56 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

Probably a good bet that woodworkers (at least those with a separate day job) don't watch as much TV.

How did you finish the corner of the vice cut out?

Removed waste with the router, then squared it up with chisels.

• Thanks 1

Haven’t made much progress on the bench, real life got in the way. Left work early today and finished up my afternoon meetings at home with a beer. I figured since it was nice out, sunny and 35 I would have fun with my other passion, outdoor cooking. Got a couple NY Strips to go the grill for a reverse sear. B3A8D69C-3AF0-4A39-8E94-A7C7C185F334.thumb.jpeg.03bd7a7c86922c803bb5435edb22cfc3.jpeg

They arent best looking steaks, they’ll eat!

1 hour ago, Pondhockey said:

My mouth is watering.

(Can't seem to find the appropriate icon.)

Thanks. I’m still trying to dial in the process for using the slow and sear product. This steak wasn’t the best I have done but it was pretty good. I was making sure my wife’s steak hit her desired temp and ended up cooking both to her liking. 

If anyone uses a Weber Kettle, look into the Slow’n’Sear. An amazing tool for the Kettle.

• 1 month later...

no Updates on the Roubo. I hope to get back on this thing this weekend. Wife and son are going out of town so should give me time. I also had to go to NC for a family matter. When I got back my wife had been secretly online shopping for a travel trailer. No arguments here, so we continued the shopping and picked this up last weekend.

6889FAC5-A372-461E-BE8D-408B42D58E98.thumb.jpeg.80b0512b8d9808fe256f0c104360bb94.jpeg354E86B0-EA3B-44F5-8853-AC64F37630A3.thumb.jpeg.fa357d361a08de9f8d1c3d8d276519fc.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, Chet said:

Thats a cool looking trailer.  If you start using that on a regular basis the Roubo is going to take a little longer to complete. ;)

You are right about delaying the build. But I am ok with that. We enjoy camping and getting outdoors. Actually this trailer will save me time. We are moving from tent camping, and that takes me a day to pull everything out, check the stock, and load it up. Now it just throw some clothes  in the trailer and hit the grocery store on the way out of town. We are looking forward to the season this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ..Kev said:

Both good choices!

6 minutes ago, Chet said:

You should get good use out of both.  I have the same block plane and have been real happy with it.  

I went into store with buying router and shoulder planes. I passed on the shoulder plane and went with the rabbeting block plane.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I mean it's too late now but i really love the LN 140 skew rabbeting block plane. I also have a regular block for edges and what not but the 140 takes the cake for tenon cheeks.

Doesn't this one turn into a skew just by holding it an an angle? : )

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Doesn't this one turn into a skew just by holding it an an angle? : )

Can't rabbet with it at a skew angle. ;) The skew is nice because it doesn't tear out/blow out on cheeks as much and gives a cleaner cut on rabbets that you have to clean up. I personally feel that LN drops the ball on marketing the 140.