Shaker Tables

..Kev

Spare bedroom in the new house needed some side tables.  Ok, actually, it needs all the furniture but, I had to start somewhere.  For the most part, I followed Marc's plans on these but, there are all kinds of plans out there.  I did change some of his dimensions a bit but, they're essentially the same tables.

Just had a chance to watch this one. Great job as usual, Kev. Keep em coming!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Does this mean the bed (and other furniture) in that room will be shaker style as well, or will you mix and match?

All furniture will match, yes.  I wouldn't go so far as to say they're going to be pure "Shaker" tho.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Great video Kev! One tip I use a triangle with the point always facing forward that way you don't have to label the corners because the triangle gives you all the info you need, just food for thought.

Good idea for sure..  

Yaaay new video Sunday!!

Very nice on everything square on dryfit I wish I could do that with my end tables I’m working on haha.

Also, how do you like the tickler tapering jig? I have not seen one in person but have heard a lot of people say it’s mdf junk and should have been built better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Also, how do you like the tickler tapering jig? I have not seen one in person but have heard a lot of people say it’s mdf junk and should have been built better.

It's MDF junk and should have been built better!

To be honest, my old "shop made" tapering jig was much more reliable and, at some point, I'll steal a little of the hardware from this one and build another "shop made" jig.  The only reason I still have this one and not the old one is the move..  Space was a premium in the move so, the old one went away and the new one kept.

Things I don't like about the Rockler jig..

1. Clamping - The clamp is absolutely horrible!  I may be a little biased because I used the Bessey clamp downs on the old one but, they just flat out work much better and you're never concerned about them being in the way.
  2. MDF Construction - The little end tab is screwed into endgrain and just won't take any abuse whatsoever! I've already had to pull it off twice and locate new holes.

So, bottom line...  Spend your money on some good Bessey clamps and build your own!   You'll be much happier.  Who knows, maybe a tapering jig video coming?? ;)

• Like 2

Those Bessey auto adjust toggle clamps are awesome. I've got 6 of them that float around from jig to jig as needed.

(6)- 1 1/4" square drive pocket hole screws attach them quickly and very strongly. Most of my jigs are a 3/4" ply base with a fence of 3/4" ply under the clamps. You can adjust the clamping power and then clamp almost any thickness part with the same pressure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Nice. I always chuckle at how much scrap walnut you seem to have for shop furniture and jigs. Love your crosscut sled especially. I need to build up more scraps :)

Thanks..  I seem to have a lot of it lately due to the fact that I bought all my dealer's "shorts" for literally pennies on the dollar.