Drill press recommendations

Dustin Cookson

Just like the title says, im in the market for a drill press.  Price in so so much an issue.  I just want a machine that has quality, I will never regret buying.  Size wise I will most likely go for at least an 18" model.  Power can be either 110v or 220v.

Thanks for any input

Dustin Cookson

I bought a used Delta 18" model.   No fancy electronics, have to change speeds by changing belt configurations.  But I love it. 

Biggest improvement I would like is the table/fence configuration; I would suggest trying that out before buying - make sure you like the flexibility and ease of centering a piece to be drilled,  lining up a piece for multiple holes, clamping down work, changing the table height for different sized pieces and using the stop to drill part way.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna need a budget figure here.  For some reason the drill press is the most challenging machine for a lot of brands to make decently.  We have the technology, just not the wherewithal I guess.  The new Powermatic 2800b cured a lot of the 2800's ills but, still seems to be hit an miss based on owner reviews.  The Delta 18-900 and the new Nova are the darlings in the under $3k class.

I just looked over the Nova drill press. It's an 18" ( drills max 9 " from the column.)  Supposed to be same motor as their direct drive lathes have. Little screen and a bunch of options mostly controlled by turning a knob and selecting a setting.  50 to 5500 rpm and it increases the torque to maintain speed (kinda like the PC 7518 router does). So that feature should be a fairly reliable mature technology, it's been around for many years. It's even got updatable software. But what happens years from now as far as parts or software ?

If you enjoy bells and whistles, have the $$$$ and trust electronics to last for decades maybe you take a chance. I will let the early adopters see how it pans out over the longer run.

I've got a 30+ year old Porter Cable  commercial/industrial router with the variable speed/ torque. Rockwell developed the controls for hydraulic actuators on the Space Shuttle & they owned Porter Cable at the time. Router still runs fine, it was the predecessor to the 7518.  

• 3 weeks later...