Dining room table - COMPLETE

Chet

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

The slight cuved legs always makes me think Arts & Craft.

That's what i was thinking as well but i did some googling to make sure and mission and arts and crafts furniture looked the same. I probably just didn't look close enough.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Do you find those spring clamps hold the boards well enough for the jointer?

I was pushing the envelop with those because of the size of the lumber.  But with normal 4/4 stuff they do the job well.  F clamps probably would have been a better/safer way to go.

50 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Take a tip from me and get more help than you think you need for delivery.

You are correct Ross.  I have a few things in my favor.  One, from the shop to the dining room is about 20 feet.  Two, It will go in, in two pieces, the base and then the top.  And three One of my son in laws and my sixteen year old grand son live next door and my other son in law is a block away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I might try making a tapered wood strip and see how that works for me.

This could be an interesting thing to work out.  The ones I have are fiberglass and about an 1/8" thick.  The asymmetrical one starts at 1/8 and goes to almost a point on the other end.   getting wood to act the same way without snapping at the skinny end could be a challenge.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

3/4" spaces means you went with the 200 lb capacity slides. Good choice !

It was based on your recommendation, Thanks. certainly would go against your professional knowledge.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

That's good info for an expanding table. I might use that someday.

Thanks Drew.

Next thing I did was attach the tracks to the bottom of the main section of the top.  I centered the two battens and then spaced the tracks off of these using a .020 shim on each side so as to not pinch the inside track as this is the one that will slide in and out.  It was a good thing that my outfit/assembly table was mobile because this project is really starting to tax my shop space.  I had to move the hand tool bench and also had to keep rolling the assembly table to different spots depending on what I was doing and what end of the table I was working on.

IMG_0724.thumb.jpg.917af9a0beb15d4e37ae8a72908019f8.jpg

Then I attached the faux breadboard ends to the track ends.

IMG_0725.thumb.jpg.dffdf820c2dc6cc451d597ce70b64273.jpg

Then with some help I flipped it over and marked where I want to locate the pins for the leaves. First I marked out the breadboard and top.

IMG_0741.thumb.jpg.c2086db8104d0b9d3b5459f494f1523c.jpg

Then I put in the leaves and marked everything so all the pins will line up correctly.  Pencil lines are a little hard to see.

IMG_0727.thumb.jpg.847103d5d4b515ad45f5ed64ced04143.jpg

I used a self centering dowel jig and a 5/16 bit to drill the holes.  I used a blue tape flag to mark the correct depth.

IMG_0734.thumb.jpg.8e74be638dd9d826572bb60d7fad629f.jpg

The pins have small ribs on them and are pressure fit, they go in fairly easily with a small mallet. I used a non-mar mallet so i didn't accidentally flatten the tip of the pin.

IMG_0736.thumb.jpg.d6d677ace3976ff2577fbeea8894a67d.jpg

IMG_0737.thumb.jpg.97f5597106660f3052aaea6a39eeb9de.jpg

IMG_0742.thumb.jpg.58104338ed6cb16e15260c0ffa78346d.jpg

You can see at the far end that when I laid out and drilled for the pins I still hadn't cut the leaves to their final size.  I wanted to make sure that if they shifted for any reason during the pin install I would still have enough to trim to size.

IMG_0729.thumb.jpg.a62e671ae27183cb0ccd0ee4e0e27ac9.jpg

After all the pins were installed I put all the leaves in place.  Then I laid out the track for my track saw to trim everything to final size.  The edge of the main section was a  good reference  so I set the track so it just skimmed the edge of the main section.   I used the TSO fence guide at one end and then clamped the track from underneath at the other. and made the cut.

IMG_0738.thumb.jpg.835d4435a63903e75ccae83f681edb0e.jpg

All done.

IMG_0739.thumb.jpg.5accf8154df6421f84b4bf0e66dbb563.jpg

I have to do some sanding on the top parts and assemble the base and then on to finishing. but this was for the most part the end of construction.  stay tuned more to come.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Looking good ! 

Are you going to use any type of locking device to keep the joints closed ?

Yea probably.  I was hoping it would be okay with out but I think I am going to have to add them.  Don't want the turkey falling through the table on Thanksgiving. :huh:

I have seen those window latches that an arm swings around then pulls back to tighten. 

https://www.doorcorner.com/oilrubrcamac.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=171383606173&gclid=CjwKCAjwk9HWBRApEiwA6mKWaYpftueCHKAv-MmBjzJWW2JTmqe1VUzxuIQawYO274FqjuunYc5w0RoCKSUQAvD_BwE 

Those are just an example. I'm sure you can find that style somewhere near you.

Yep stealing that table extension idea for sure thanks. This looks great! I'm hopefully going to be building a trestle table soon. I want to go a slightly different style but it should all work the same. Have you thought about making a storage area under the table top for the extension leaves?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I'm sure you can find that style somewhere near you.

Yea we have a good old fashion hardware store about I mile from the house that has a pretty good line of that type of stuff.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Have you thought about making a storage area under the table top for the extension leaves?

Between the table legs is less then 20 inches so you couldn't store them side by side and storing them end to end the table isn't long enough.  Plus I am so used to seeing the present table leaves in my closet that I don't know how I would start the day if there wasn't table parts stored there. ;)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Chet said:

Yea we have a good old fashion hardware store about I mile from the house that has a pretty good line of that type of stuff.

Between the table legs is less then 20 inches so you couldn't store them side by side and storing them end to end the table isn't long enough.  Plus I am so used to seeing the present table leaves in my closet that I don't know how I would start the day if there wasn't table parts stored there. ;)

Stacked? I wouldn't want to disrupt your morning ritual that's just not nice. So i think you should continue keeping them in your closet.

Also in a more piratical thought if they are tucked up under the table the might be difficult to get out.