Dining room table - COMPLETE

Chet

42 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Also in a more piratical thought if they are tucked up under the table the might be difficult to get out.

Yes, in my design at this point it would be down on hands and knees to store or retrieve them.  Also there is a upper trestle right under the top and so any storage would show.  

44 minutes ago, Chet said:

Yes, in my design at this point it would be down on hands and knees to store or retrieve them.  Also there is a upper trestle right under the top and so any storage would show.  

Ahh yeah that would make things tricky. I'm not sure on mine if i want to do a top support or not. I'm not sure what the risks are with getting a large bow in the top when using 1-1/2" thick material. The style I'm going to shoot for will be similar to Marc's knock down trestle except more petite and delicate looking. I've become really attracted to the delicate styles. I'm just playing with stuff in my mind some day I'll put a pen to paper.

The top trestle can from a design I am more or less copying.  I am not to concerned about sag because with the thickness of the legs and the distance between them, there is only about 38 inches.  But after muscling the top around its not going to hurt.  Also if you are going to do an extension set up to your table those tracks are basically hanging from the underside of the table. 

Yea, Marc's doesn't have an upper trestle but did have a center support from the trestle.  I think in Shane's table he had more then one support because it was longer then Marc's

• 3 weeks later...

Table is coming together nicely. 

I use painters pyramids, coat the backside, wait an hour or so then flip & oil the top. Let that dry overnight etc. Any marks from the pyramids end up on the bottom/ inside.  This approach applies to oil, stain, primer & sprayed finishes. Drying or soaking in time before the flip may vary. I tend to do few edges when coating the back/ inside so it's safer to grab there to flip, then do all the edges with the top. 

10 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Table is coming together nicely. 

Thanks.

I have pyramids too, and usually use them.  One thing on this project, I think the weight of the top and of the base  may have crushed the pyramids. ;)

• Haha 1

Nah, it's damn tough plastic. But heavy loads can cause a dimple in the wood. If the dimple might show I use a block of wood for height with a folded cotton bar towel as padding. 

31579B60-2032-4897-80CE-0EFA3CAD1C72-14075-00001331A7F0DB41.jpeg.d147620e6c8b32da56ee44304e8c9b4e.jpeg

$18 for 25 towels at Costco. Very handy around the shop. I wash them a few times to get rid of any lint before putting them to use. As they get stained I demote them from finish work & padding to shop rags. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

How much length do the leafs add to the top?

So I should have mentioned this some where along the way.  I went a little different route with the leaves.  Traditionally you have something like two leaves at around 12 inches each.  I went with 4 and each is 7 1/2 inches, same as the breadboards.   The table by itself is 66 inches adding between one and four leaves gives me table lengths of 73 1/2 inches, 81 inches, 88.5 inches and 96 inches.

Awesome job. Now that I've sen the table extension in action it's even a better idea that i thought before.

When pulled all the way out is the end still stable?

How does the table leg positioning work? It looks like there could be some knee table leg interference if you were seating 6.

Thanks Drew.

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

When pulled all the way out is the end still stable?

Yes, when I had it in the shop I tested that pretty vigorously and that was with just the top, the base wasn't attached at that time and the base adds quite a bit of mass.

I think as long as we keep the Thanksgiving turkey in the middle of the table we will be fine. :D

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

How does the table leg positioning work? It looks like there could be some knee table leg interference if you were seating 6.

I am 6'2" and if I sit there my knee just misses it.  Not perfect but it works.  I intentionally made the table a little smaller then normal to try and open up the space a little.  Most of the time it is just Kathy and I, in reality six may be a bit crowded with the table as is.  I would probably put in a leaf under those circumstances.  When we were out looking for the chairs I was taking note of the fact that there are very few perfect leg locations on tables that people are seated at.  You are either brushing up against, hitting with your leg/knee or straddling some part of the leg setup, unless the legs are right at the corners and those designs just don't appeal to us.

On another note to anyone interested most tables are somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 inches tall.  In a Fine Woodworking article, the same one were I read about using drawer glides for the extensions, he talks about his thinking that the real ideal height for a table you eat should be closer to 28 inches tall.  I thought I would give this a try knowing that there were ways to raise it if the height turned out to be a disaster.  It has only been a few meals but I am really happy with the decision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chet said:

Thanks Drew.

Yes, when I had it in the shop I tested that pretty vigorously and that was with just the top, the base wasn't attached at that time and the base adds quite a bit of mass.

I think as long as we keep the Thanksgiving turkey in the middle of the table we will be fine. :D

I am 6'2" and if I sit there my knee just misses it.  Not perfect but it works.  I intentionally made the table a little smaller then normal to try and open up the space a little.  Most of the time it is just Kathy and I, in reality six may be a bit crowded with the table as is.  I would probably put in a leaf under those circumstances.  When we were out looking for the chairs I was taking note of the fact that there are very few perfect leg locations on tables that people are seated at.  You are either brushing up against, hitting with your leg/knee or straddling some part of the leg setup, unless the legs are right at the corners and those designs just don't appeal to us.

On another note to anyone interested most tables are somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 inches tall.  In a Fine Woodworking article, the same one were I read about using drawer glides for the extensions, he talks about his thinking that the real ideal height for a table you eat should be closer to 28 inches tall.  I thought I would give this a try knowing that there were ways t raise it if the height turned out to be a disaster.  It has only been a few meals but I am really happy with the decision.

I figured it was just looks. I don't mind straddling from time to time :D as long as the leg isn't that close to the edge. Your table legs appear to be well inset and wouldn't create a problem there. I just have an improper amount of scar tissue built up on top of my knee cap and bumping it is awfully painful. Thank you ice hockey.

Table height is another one of those tricky ones an inch either way can make it uncomfortable. For me i'd rather the table be shorter than taller. The thing that sucks about a proper dining table height is that folding chairs are always too short. If you get a group of 10 friends together to play cards the 2-3 folding chairs you have to supplement with make you feel like the table is at chin level.

Again good work it appears you thought of everything. Love the table.

44 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Table height is another one of those tricky ones an inch either way can make it uncomfortable.

Like I said I really like the 28 1/2 inches tall that mine ended up at, but then I had to be paying attention to the extension tracks on the underside.  Doing some mock ups helped in all of this.