Wine stain

JosephThomas

Any way to remove some small wine stains from raw wood? It's actually BB ply...someone spilled on it after sanding but before I had applied any finish.  Making it perfect again is not critical, as it's a plywood project. But I'm wondering if there's any way to pull some of the color out of the birch veneer before I add finish...? Something akin to spreading out kitty litter on concrete to soak up oil stains?

I'm actually tempted to just buy some kitty litter and try it out, but I have no idea how that will clean up after, or if it will make finishing more difficult (I'm just gonna slap some minwax wipe on poly on it).  I'm also assuming the wine went full-depth thru the top veneer, based on the way it looks, so sanding it down isn't really an option I don't think.

The problem with plywood is that because the veneer is peeled off the log, it's filled with micro-cracks. You can see them with a magnifying glass, or sometime just with the naked eye. That allows the wine to soak in deeper. I think you'd have to sand most of the first layer of veneer off. Wood bleach ought to be worth a try.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Maybe start with diluted bleach ?

Naw, if the area is small. Put some bleach from the bottle in a coffee cup. Use an old toothbrush, dip and apply, work around the stain. When done I will use a spray bottle with water and go back over the area to pick up some of the bleach and help to dilute and soak up with a rag. 

-Ace-

20 hours ago, Isaac said:

Hydrogen peroxide is used for wine stains in laundry... might help? I guess stain scraps and see what works to get rid of it.

I would try this;  I've use it on rugs.  I believe that it oxidizes the colored compounds, like bleach would do.

[edit:  an internet search on "remove wine stain from wood" comes up with other ideas not related to bleach or H2O2.]

45 minutes ago, Pondhockey said:

I would try this;  I've use it on rugs.  I believe that it oxidizes the colored compounds, like bleach would do.

[edit:  an internet search on "remove wine stain from wood" comes up with other ideas not related to bleach or H2O2.]

I did this today as well, a couple of the ideas mentioned above are there as well as a couple others, like baking soda diluted with mineral oil (which was my first though)...I will probably try a few of these ideas starting in order from least harsh on up to the nuclear options. Thx all.

14 minutes ago, Chet said:

I only wonder how the mineral oil will react with you final finish. I don't know how critical this is to the end project.

I suspect that the baking soda/mineral oil mix is intended for finished wood.  Probably the baking soda alone (or in water) would be better for unfinished wood.

I just remembered years ago picking cherries in an orchard with my 2 girls, who were about 4 & 6 at the time. As you can imagine, their clothes were stained from head to toe with cherry juice. My sister suggested pouring boiling water on the stain, but to do it before trying to wash the fabric. Worked like a charm. I took about 10 seconds for the stain to completely disappear. No idea if that would work for wine though.

• 1 month later...
There is such a thing as wood bleach. Different types of it too. I've never used it, read and practice on scrap !
Wood bleach is oxalic acid which is dilute nitric acid. Found in the home center. Try making a paste with Oxyclean but you obviosly don't want to get the wood soaking wet. Left over night that stuff gets out all kinds of stains. Another product, sold for clothing stains, is K2R. It is an aerosol can that sprays dry cleaning fluid (stoddard solvent) and corn starch The solvent dissolves the stain and the corn starch wicks it up. You start with a wet paste and end up with dry white powder with a discolored spot where the stain was pulled out. Then just brush or vacuum away the corn starch. Never tried it on wood but I would try it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk