Bed to Match!

..Kev

6 hours ago, bushwacked said:

SWEET! New Kev build!! 

Not sure what you call it but the cutouts/reveals ?? in the corners of the headboard and foot board looks really good. I really like that look 

They will be the trickiest part of the build because those curved cut outs land on another curve and that panel is held in with a long tenon.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Great video Kev!  Why did you avoid to cathedral grain in the legs?  Is there a structural reason or just personal preference.

Although the straight grain will be more stable, I really don't think it makes a difference structurally.  Ultimately, it was just the look I was going for.  The legs in the Chest of Drawers as well as the Shaker tables were all pulled from straight grain material.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I don’t know how you accomplish so much in so little time, given that you’re on the road so much. Great video Kev. Looking forward to the next one. K

I tend to get a lot of shop time when I'm home so, I get lots of footage and then just have to edit.  I can do that from anywhere ;)

I usually look forward to your Sunday progress but life took over and it took me until tonight to catch up. I’m really liking this build. Footboard design looks great. And thanks for the improv on the clamp extensions. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikemenifee said:

Another great video - audio somewhat irritating, but worth the watch. Thanks

Thanks..  There are still some audio issues in the next video but, at least I was aware of them and tried to work around it.  New mic is here so, issues cleared up by the end of the next video.

22 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Another great project being built at lightning speed, great job and I enjoy the videos.  I should give it a try sometime...........not!

Go  for it ! What are you going to screw up, some boards:D

2 hours ago, ..Kev said:

Finishing up the headboard..

Got the audio issues fixed by the end and kept this one short because of the audio issues.  I'll finish up the bed next week.

Kev, looking great.  I built a similar style bed a few years ago and used quick connect hardware that is mortised into the end grain and screwed into the rails. Over time the screws failed to hold in the end grain and I had to go back and drill out and epoxy in some threaded inserts.  Not sure what hardware you are using but if I was doing again I would probably go with mortise and tenons with bolt and barrel nuts although you will see the head of the bolt on the foot board.  You can get fancy covers for those if desired.

• Like 1

Thanks!

When I do the master bedroom, I'll probably do something similar to what you suggested.  However, this is a spare room that will probably get used about 3 times a year.  Unless I get in trouble ;)  So, this bed will be quick connect hardware as the first guest will be using it about 1 day after it's done..