Bench Base

Thats a real nicely constructed bench. The wood choice matters not at all, you build with what you want or can afford, the important thing is to be having fun in the shop.

Yea the self may collect some dust but the nice thing about it is when you are working with hand tools, if the bench starts to move you can put some weight on the shelf to act as ballast.

1 hour ago, Dennis O'Shea said:

All looks  I now regret it a little my wife came into the shop to see and she said the grooves make it look pretty I said HUH!!!!!!!!1

Now that's funny.

I happen to disagree with her. The coves caught my eye in most picture where it was visible and they look odd and out of place to me. If the start and stop points were equidistant from the end, it would make it look a bit like a column but as it is, it's distracting me. I found myself looking more for the purpose than admiring the whole.

There's a good chance that I see that because my bench legs are also chunky sob's and have hard corners. Perhaps yours looking different is why I'm distracted. 

Or, it may look weird ; )

Either way, looks like it will be a great bench for you. 

I still say Yes Ma'am to women half my age, which sometimes ends up in a fun exchange.  

My Mother still says Ma'am, and Sir to everyone.  Someone responded jokingly that "didn't she know she should only use those titles to people older than her?"   She said she didn't remember the last time she'd talked to anyone older than she was, and she has a good memory (better than mine).  She's 102.

• Like 1

This is default for me. Number one, that is a hangover from my father’s habits. Number two, I see more students in a day than I could ever hope to call by name. Sir a ma’am get better responses from middle school students than most other things besides their given name. 

I have learned so much about manner's and rear ends This all started about the word Sir It has surely taken on a life of it's own .Someone just observing this post might say.You folk's need to get out of the shop more .For myself at 70 years old I have found it quite educational And I thank you 

• Like 1