Second time is a charm; Maloof Rocker

Bmac

46 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bmac I want one! I have the curly cherry lumber. :)

You do more in one month, than most do in a year! :lol:

I'll tell you it's a great chair to kick back in while sipping some brown liquor. 

39 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bmac you will be out of lumber soon, if you don’t slow down. :lol:

Don't worry, they are growing more trees.

I don't know, since I do this for fun and have no plans to do this for money, I don't track my time. What i can say is that my first post for my chair I designed was Sept 4th, I started some work on this chair at that time. My post of the final pics of the chair I designed was Sept 24th, I got serious with this chair about then but had most of the prep work done (lumber picked out, blanks milled). I will say I did work on this a little each day because I was having so much fun. Probably was out in the shop most evenings for an hr or two on weekdays and spent more time on weekends. I did have a day or two on the weekends where I was out there for 6 hrs in a day. But it does go much quicker the second time around.

The time consuming stuff on this chair are the back slats and the sanding/shaping. 

On 10/13/2018 at 7:25 PM, Mick S said:

Beautiful job, Bmac! It's on my list, too, now that the Morris chair is completed and I have a place to put my feet up. You are truly a productive craftsman!

It would be interesting to see one of these made out of mesquite

• Like 1

Well there are a few things that went more smoothly the second time around. Here are a couple of things I took notice of the first time and paid closer attention to the second time;

Make sure you sand back legs and the headrest supports up to the headrest to 320 or 400 before you assemble the headrest/slats. Same goes for the arm/back leg joint area and the seat/back leg joint area. When I say this, I really mean go over those areas with a fine toothed comb. It's way tougher sanding once assembled. Now you will need to sand the headrest/back leg interface after assembly, but this is much easier to get to. 

Also, make sure your slats are sanded up to 320/400 before assembly. Go over these to with a fine toothed comb, look at them in different lights, feel with you hand all surfaces. Again, these is a lot harder to sand once assembled. 

Take your time drilling the hole for the dowel in the back leg, to me that is the most pucker part of the build. You've basically gotten to the end and spent tons of time, very stressful hole to drill. 

As for processes I changed, I never once used the grinder or the galahad grinding discs. I used the festool RAS 115 and the rasps for all the shaping. I used the dremel very little also. I've become very proficient at using that RAS 115. 

I used a different shape for the headrest and I like this look better. I also slenderized the width of the arm rests, to me they looked too much like boat paddles. Other than that Marc does a super great job at instructing you, I think he is spot on with his videos.