Floor protection

Shane Jimerfield

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

Interlocking rubber tiles would be great in that space. Run them right from wall to wall. The ones I'm thinking of are solid rubber & not too squishy so that heavy bench would be no problem.

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/8mm-strong-rubber-tile.html I have these in my shop. I don't have any equipment sitting on them but my roubo does and as you can see after more then a year no noticeable dent. FYI make sure you use a coupon code if you go this route they have 28% off a lot.

IMG_4004.JPG.7d72d27ae4002b69bcf73b2dacc39aa8.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG.3c79fe87fa86345932bea5bd2ae646e9.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

Interlocking rubber tiles would be great in that space. Run them right from wall to wall. The ones I'm thinking of are solid rubber & not too squishy so that heavy bench would be no problem.

I see that type of flooring a lot in the weight room in gyms.  They stand up to some pretty heavy equipment with steel legs/feet, so I imagine it would work well in the studio.  Also will have a little bit of "give" to it, so might be easy on your back.

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/8mm-strong-rubber-tile.html I have these in my shop. I don't have any equipment sitting on them but my roubo does and as you can see after more then a year no noticeable dent. FYI make sure you use a coupon code if you go this route they have 28% off a lot.

Looks promising. How's the off gassing? I'm kind of sensitive to smells. I can't even go into a tire store, or Walmart for too long before I get nauseous.

17 hours ago, Tom King said:

Put brown "builders paper" down on a clean floor, then put whatever you want for flooring on top of that.  Whenever you take it up, the floor will be just like new.

This would be a very good idea under that rubber. You never know if staining might transfer to the flooring over time.

15 hours ago, Shane Jimerfield said:

Looks promising. How's the off gassing? I'm kind of sensitive to smells. I can't even go into a tire store, or Walmart for too long before I get nauseous.

They definitely had a smell when I took them out of the box but it dissipated very quickly. The TSC rubber mats I recently cut up for my basement project smelled much worse but again dissipated within a week or so.

I’d look out for a gym or fitness center remodeling. The good quality rubber flooring is crazy expensive. I covered my basement using a few big 4’ rolls of it from a gym that was relocating. it’s 3/8-1/2” thick and very durable. I moved heavy machines all over it during my reorganization without ripping or tearing it. I think the felder is barely compressing it and that machine weighs 1500-1600lbs. Actually, probably closer to 1700lbs with the feeder on it. 

Would be a a shame to cover your entire floor though. I like the look of my rubber floor, but it doesn’t hold a candle to nicely finished hardwood. Awesome workspace. 

1EB94B9E-0708-48F8-A3E0-C5477D434431.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

I’d look out for a gym or fitness center remodeling. The good quality rubber flooring is crazy expensive. I covered my basement using a few big 4’ rolls of it from a gym that was relocating. it’s 3/8-1/2” thick and very durable. I moved heavy machines all over it during my reorganization without ripping or tearing it. I think the felder is barely compressing it and that machine weighs 1500-1600lbs. Actually, probably closer to 1700lbs with the feeder on it. 

Would be a a shame to cover your entire floor though. I like the look of my rubber floor, but it doesn’t hold a candle to nicely finished hardwood. Awesome workspace. 

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if there are enough gyms within 200 miles to warrant that strategy, and I wouldn't even know how to monitor for such a thing.

Yes, i'd really rather not cover the floor, but seems prudent. I may just do under and around the bench. Not sure yet, I'll have to spend some time in there before I settle on just where things will go permanently.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks - I think I've got a good idea of what I should do.