Bandsaw dust collection

derekcohen

I did not want to live with a double vacuum system, so connected the main 5" hose to the collector at the blade. My concern was that the 2 hp DC might not be powerful enough to pull dust through two hoses ...

D1a.jpg

This is a 2 1/2" hose ...

D7a.jpg

With all dust collection switched off, this is the result after sawing 1500mm of MDF ...

D2a.jpg

D3a.jpg

Now I tried a few variations after this: removing the end cap for increased air flow/ventilation (the cap on was slightly better), and taping up the blade kerfs in the tube (this was slightly better). Essentially, these all resulted in this ...

D6a.jpg

Bottom line: I think that the little dust in the corner is a dead spot for cleaning. The system is working so much better than ever before, and now it only needs one switch at the DC to get it going.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Is there a way you could remove the air seal from the bottom edge of the door? It looks like there isn't enough air flow in the lower part of the saw to clear the dust out. The fully sealed lower cases of band saws aren't the best for air flow. My saw has a gap along the whole bottom of the door and the floor inside is spotless.

Just an idea.