Sign in to follow this  
mtairymd

Air Plant Holders

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have let my wife see them either.

What holds the actual plant?  Do you just have root ball sit on top or is there some sor pf open bottom dish?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Great idea and well executed.  The wife was looking over my shoulder so I may have to steal your idea ;-)

Steal away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool; I'd like to mimic your ideas.  Are these plants epiphytes?  They must need more than water, how to they obtain other nutrients?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well done. When the air plants are not in bloom the holders still look great all by themselves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, gee-dub said:

Great idea and well executed.  The wife was looking over my shoulder so I may have to steal your idea ;-)

+1

Those are cool! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 11:19 PM, Pondhockey said:

Very cool; I'd like to mimic your ideas.  Are these plants epiphytes?  They must need more than water, how to they obtain other nutrients?

I have no clue...so here is the google answer:

"Epiphytes called Tillandsia or Air Plants are one of these plant families that have found a unique niche that allows them to thrive in harsh environments. Epiphytes are plants that grow or attach themselves on other plants for support.

The difference is that air plants don't need soil to grow. In an air plant, roots act as anchors, securing plants to their supports. Leaves handle the job of absorbing moisture. Each leaf on an air plant is covered in specialized scales known as trichomes, which have the ability to absorb water and nutrients."

On 1/6/2019 at 7:32 PM, mat60 said:

Very well done. When the air plants are not in bloom the holders still look great all by themselves. 

Thank you!

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost all of my house plants are epiphitic. They are known for tolerating loose soil and growing aerial root hairs that leave them needing very little watering in our humid summers. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is way cooler than the bizarre glass jars hanging all over my house.   Time to start replacing them with wood!  Thanks for the inspiration   

Also, you must have some weird coats if those are your coat hangers. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 8:43 PM, vinnyjojo said:

This is way cooler than the bizarre glass jars hanging all over my house.   Time to start replacing them with wood!  Thanks for the inspiration   

Also, you must have some weird coats if those are your coat hangers. :)

Thank you!  Yeah, I like the wood better :).   I did have to search through the closet to find hangers coated in rubber.  Almost everything in our closets is plastic now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this