Replacing thickness planer Delta RC-33

I have a Delta  RC-33 planer, that needs repair, can’t find anyone to work on it for me.  The head does not go down parallel and thus planes uneven.  Bread are really hard to turn as well.  I suppose the gears are gummed up.  I don’t have the skill need to disassemble it.  So I’ll guess I’ll buy new!  Mine is a 13” 220V, so it’s plenty powerful.  Any recommendations?  Don’t want a cheap piece of junk either.  

larryjhill704@gmail.com

Pittsburg KS

That looks like a machine grizzley makes. Can either go there and get something similar. If you are looking for something different that sits on a bench the DW735 is a good machine. I have a DW735 but am looking forward to upgrading to a 15" 3hp unit. The 735 has power limitations and i feel like it's long term durability isn't going to be as good as an induction motor planer.

• Like 1

I have the same delta planer.  It’s fantastic. 

I wouldn’t get the dewalt 735. It a fine planer, but the power difference is no joke. 

Maybe Look at grizzly, or find a place that can fix your beast of a planer. Many of the parts for the 15 inch grizzly planers are compatible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the RC-33 and if I were in your shoes, I would find someone to fix yours. It has adjustments to fix the alignment problems and the rest sounds like it needs a good cleaning and lubing. It is a much heavier duty planer than any of the lightweight units on the market. Fixing it will probably be cheaper too.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:16 PM, Chris208 said:

I have the same delta planer.  It’s fantastic. 

I wouldn’t get the dewalt 735. It a fine planer, but the power difference is no joke. 

Maybe Look at grizzly, or find a place that can fix your beast of a planer. Many of the parts for the 15 inch grizzly planers are compatible. 

Chris, to what do you base your comments? I had the same Delta and gave it away after using the newly purchased 735 a couple of years ago. Although I respect your opinion, I question your basis. Although the Delta got the job done with min. snipe, the 735 is one bad mofo! 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Chris, to what do you base your comments? I had the same Delta and gave it away after using the newly purchased 735 a couple of years ago. Although I respect your opinion, I question your basis. Although the Delta got the job done with min. snipe, the 735 is one bad mofo! 

Bigger bites per pass. Fewer passes. 

The 735 is a great planer, but it’s still a lunchbox. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, 70445 said:

Don’t want a cheap piece of junk either.

Maybe it is time to replace it with something better? Like this? https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-15-3-HP-Planer-w-Cabinet-Stand/G1021Z?gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarEqgt76m7tcYciChAqIRgEmKK_isuQuTrog5DKMumN3sXzp52U12dgaAr91EALw_wcB Or you can look for something like this used.