Lumber transport

wtnhighlander

17 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Who was wishing that Tesla made a pickup?

http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

Side cameras? NO.... just no. Are they just always on? I use my mirrors constantly with a heavy reliance on the right side. Maybe i'm weird but i use my mirrors to track the cars behind me and about every 15 seconds scan all 3 of them.

Cool idea but i wish they took a standard pickup and put the electrics in it instead of trying to reinvent the pickup. I'd be all over a pickup that had less techy stuff but used batteries and electric motors to drive. Save the money on the superfluous stuff that will break and is expensive.

19 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Maybe i'm weird but i use my mirrors to track the cars behind me and about every 15 seconds scan all 3 of them.

I picked up this habit when I was driving city buses in a college town. It was every 8-10 seconds then, but now has relaxed to 15-20 seconds. 

I agree that it’s a bit over the top, but maybe they will realize that if/when they build the prototype. Or when they get solid production cost numbers.

12 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Same habit here. Picked it up racing cars.   Its a good habit along with looking for traffic even when you have a green light.   I cant believe how many people don't look but just straight ahead.

They probably just think that becuase it's behind them that it won't effect them. You never truly put anything behind you for good.....

I agree about the mirrors - hard to improve on the simplicity. As for 'low-tech", that ain't gonna happen in any electric vehicle bigger than a golf cart. And the traction motor per wheel design is the ultimate four wheel drive.

Frankly, I doubt this thing will ever make the market. The claims of 300 mile range and 15-minute recharge, for a vehicle that has to weigh close to 3 tons, is just outlandish with current tech. Really outlandish if you consider the MSRP starts at just $48k.

If they lose the batteries in favor of a small diesel generator, might be a different story.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I agree about the mirrors - hard to improve on the simplicity. As for 'low-tech", that ain't gonna happen in any electric vehicle bigger than a golf cart. And the traction motor per wheel design is the ultimate four wheel drive.

The only thing holding them back is their notion that they need to put that silly superfluous stuff in there to attract buyers. In reality a good chunk of the people i talk to about cars complain about their complexity and the extra crap they don't want. Seems like most people want comfy seats a radio that works and a smooth ride. Every thing after that is bonus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

The only thing holding them back is their notion that they need to put that silly superfluous stuff in there to attract buyers. In reality a good chunk of the people i talk to about cars complain about their complexity and the extra crap they don't want. Seems like most people want comfy seats a radio that works and a smooth ride. Every thing after that is bonus.

Agreed. But true for nearly any vehicle in the US market. Much like cable or satellite tv packages, to get that ONE thing you really want, you have to upgrade to premium.

Afterthought. I think the trouble is where they do their market research. They probably poll people that want electric vehicles. What they should be doing is talking to the average joe and ask him what it would take to get them in an electric vehicle.

Similar stuff happened in the, well I'm going to call it the tuner car world, all the car mag people criticized the manufactures for engine tech that was 6-8 years old as being too old. This forced them to rush R&D causing problems that ultimately lead to the demise of the vehicle. It happened to the Mitsu Evo X and the Ford Focus RS, state side at least.

1 minute ago, wtnhighlander said:

Agreed. But true for nearly any vehicle in the US market. Much like cable or satellite tv packages, to get that ONE thing you really want, you have to upgrade to premium.

It just seems so antiquated to force a bunch of stuff on someone that they don't want when they could just offer sensible solutions or make the tech unobtrusive and just work and put it in every vehicle. Subaru gets a lot of flack for their lackluster interiors .... but they work and they don't interfere in my opinion. I've had more issues with my New GM vehicle than I've ever had in the 7 years I've owned my Subaru. Lets slow down get things right. The consumer will understand, they want the quality after all...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

It’s the food at the gas station. There is little to no local money in gas. They use the fact that you want gas to entice you with food, drink, smokes, meds, etc. so they can make the money gas might be costing them. Reminds me of the VW MAFS short sale. 

Especially for the 'regular' octane. Many stations charge their cost on regular, but do add a tiny bit of markup on the higher octanes.

28 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Especially for the 'regular' octane. Many stations charge their cost on regular, but do add a tiny bit of markup on the higher octanes.

Consider weights and measures certification and pump maintenance. They could mark up a fair bit just to break even. 

Back on topic, I’d love to see a spreadsheet of manufacturing cost of all features set against market demands. 

9 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Back on topic, I’d love to see a spreadsheet of manufacturing cost of all features set against market demands. 

Even this would be incredibly difficult to create. Sales managers at dealerships are the ones ordering vehicles not the consumer. The consumer just comes and buy's what's on the lot and the average person just wants a car today. Sometimes they are looking for X feature but in general the person that is adamant on their features is in the 10% not the 90%. So taking feature demand vs cost would be very complicated because it would require surveys and a survey to cover everything would be too complicated and time consuming for the consumer to care about.

If you looked at features that were on vehicles ordered by a consumer it might get closer but the people ordering are the guys that want the oddball stuff that most people don't want. Personally if i buy a vehicle it's going to be an order. If i'm going to spend that much money i'm getting what i want and my compromise is I'll wait to get it. I also have a spare vehicle that allows me to do this and generally plan ahead.

I feel there are too many compromises in car buying to make it possible to compile that data.

22 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Even this would be incredibly difficult to create. 

So? I only said I want it. Actually, your statement is not accurate.

Margin per feature against percentage of population who would pay for it is already in existence. They won’t share it, but that’s what marketing departments do. That’s how they decide what features to embargo in top tier packages. Embargoing the features is how they get more orders for top tier, justifying the cost of offering the line. It already exists somewhere. I’d just love access to it. 

11 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

So? I only said I want it. Actually, your statement is not accurate.

Margin per feature against percentage of population who would pay for it is already in existence. They won’t share it, but that’s what marketing departments do. That’s how they decide what features to embargo in top tier packages. Embargoing the features is how they get more orders for top tier, justifying the cost of offering the line. It already exists somewhere. I’d just love access to it. 

Yeah i guess my argument is their data probably isn't accurate because it's based of data that is disconnected from what the consumer wants. I know they have some sort of data how they get it is a mstery but i constantly feel like it's inacurate. The evidence being Gm and Ford axing their car deartments while toyota and subaru roll cars off the lot left and right.

Also difficult to create and has not been created are 2 different things.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, mat60 said:

Same habit here. Picked it up racing cars.   Its a good habit along with looking for traffic even when you have a green light.   I cant believe how many people don't look but just straight ahead.

Mark, what kind of racing did you do? 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:05 AM, Chestnut said:

It just seems so antiquated to force a bunch of stuff on someone that they don't want when they could just offer sensible solutions or make the tech unobtrusive and just work and put it in every vehicle. Subaru gets a lot of flack for their lackluster interiors .... but they work and they don't interfere in my opinion. I've had more issues with my New GM vehicle than I've ever had in the 7 years I've owned my Subaru. Lets slow down get things right. The consumer will understand, they want the quality after all...

I just bought a 2018 Outback last year.

The interiors are no longer spartan... and the main problem in the car is the radio.

5 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

and the main problem in the car is the radio.

Ripped mine out on day 2 went aftermarket. Their interiors are still lackluster compared to a lot of cars. This is a good thing they are simple, and functional. Mine has good comfortable seats, no rattles. Also the doors shut, i can't understand how GM can't make a decent car door.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, K Cooper said:

Mark, what kind of racing did you do? 

I did circle track racing for about fifteen years.  Got out of it in 1995.   I was able to afford it back then because I made decent money.   I enjoyed it way more than any other things I have done.