attaching table top to legs

wtl

5 hours ago, Mick S said:

My brother made this writing desk and several stools using nothing more than twin dominoes into the legs and top. It's been over 4 years since it was put into use with no issues at all. Given that the height of a coffee table is about half that of a desk, I would think it would be subject to less racking stress than this desk. I don't know of any failures with the stools either.

793398518_Writingdesk.jpg.41035d0727a82b4ffc3fe68903903281.jpg

that's really nice - I esp. like the shop! I can't afford a Festool - I'm waiting for Black & Decker or Wen to come out with their knockoffs - it's gotta happen someday - there are no secrets anymore, and good luck with trademarks and copyrights

4 hours ago, wtl said:

that's really nice - I esp. like the shop! I can't afford a Festool - I'm waiting for Black & Decker or Wen to come out with their knockoffs - it's gotta happen someday - there are no secrets anymore, and good luck with trademarks and copyrights

The Domino came out in 2007.  Patents are 20 years.  8 years to go, assuming they didn't file earlier.

2 hours ago, krtwood said:

The Domino came out in 2007.  Patents are 20 years.  8 years to go, assuming they didn't file earlier.

hmmm...by the time 8 years has passed, I won't even know what wood is for, let alone a Domino...:D

15 hours ago, Mick S said:

My brother made this writing desk and several stools using nothing more than twin dominoes into the legs and top. It's been over 4 years since it was put into use with no issues at all. Given that the height of a coffee table is about half that of a desk, I would think it would be subject to less racking stress than this desk. I don't know of any failures with the stools either.

793398518_Writingdesk.jpg.41035d0727a82b4ffc3fe68903903281.jpg

Fine woodworking obviously runs in the family! 

2 more questions

So the top doesn't have to be attached to the legs at all if it's attached to rails? there's nothing between top and legs? wtnhighlander's suggestion of shallow mortises in the top to fit the legs into sounds good, but I don't trust myself with a router on this very expensive wood. I cannot control my handheld router - can't see where it's going with all the chips and the plunge base, and the pieces I try to rout are too small for a guide.

Is there any way to attach the legs to the rails without having to use a router for mortises? I've made tenons with a table saw - they look pretty bad tho. I guess I could use brackets.

I'm really in over my head but I'm committed to this project now. At least I'll learn a lot - already have.

Bolt your router to a piece of flat plywood and use it upside-down, like a router table. For the leg mortises to accept the rails, you can get away with an open-sided mortise. Clamp a board to your improvised router table to serve as a fence, and just feed the top of the leg along the fence and into the bit, to cut the depth of mortise your need.

Routers spin counter-clockwise when viewed from the bottom, so pushing the work into the bit from the right side will help it pull tight against the fence. A featherboard never hurts, either.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:09 PM, wtl said:

Is there any way to attach the legs to the rails without having to use a router for mortises? I've made tenons with a table saw - they look pretty bad tho. I guess I could use brackets.

Yes, you can use the old fashion way of making mortises with a chisel. Plenty of UTubes on this. Make sure you make the mortises first and clean them up and then sneak up on the tenons on your table saw. There are utubes on the table saw tenons as well. Just take your time. 

On 3/30/2019 at 12:09 PM, wtl said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Byrdie said:

Might be easier than a router to make mortises.  A mortise is little more than a row of adjoining holes with the sides and corners squared.  And current trends deem squaring the corners optional.

I might try this - today my router escaped my grip and did a Parkour run around my workshop, off the walls and ceiling, bouncing over the bandsaw, leaving a ragged mortise and tons of wood shavings along the way, was coming straight at me when I managed to pull the plug just in time. Router Trauma! I''ll never be the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you use some sort of fence on your drill press you can make sure your holes are aligned.  Might want to look into a fence for your router as well.  The problem with cutting mortises on a router is that while one side of the cut will be in the proper direction, the opposite side is, by definition, a climb cut.  That's what makes them difficult to control in these situations.  A router fence on the correct side of the piece will help control the router in a hand held situation.