Hoping to get a couple blanks from here

Brendon_t

19 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

How on earth does one determine how to cut that for blanks? Very cool!

Was thinking the same thing. Do you start with a hatchet and bow saw and try to get something vaguely square and clean so that it can be worked with your proper woodworking tools?

Im pretty excited to see it open also. There won't be a Lot of large slab like cuts. We don't have a band mill up and running right now and there's a lot missing from the inside.

I started by power washing the whole thing. This gave me a better idea of what's where and what we want to concentrate on cutting. We marked out approximate lines to cut and just started at it. 

Currently we are tearing it down with a chain saw that only has a 20" bar. That's our limiting factor of what we can get.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 11:37 AM, Spanky said:

Be sure to keep all the roots on it to. They will buy the roots for pistol grips. They say that a walnut stump worth more than a walnut tree.

Who would want the Roots? What're they good for? I've never worked them. One of the main Roots going down I cut was probably 12" across, with dark heart wood, just like the tree. I was very surprised.

13 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Pistol grips, knife handles, and handle for a pizza cutter, and a ton of small stuff.  There should be some unique grain in the roots, which will give any tool handle, like a chisel, a very different and way cool look.

Good to know. Im gonna take extra notice

5 hours ago, Tom King said:

Bailey's sells chainsaw chain in long rolls a lot cheaper than buying loops.  I can send you my tools for putting the loops together.  They aren't that big, and shipping wouldn't be much.  There looks like a lot of dollar value there!

Tom, are you saying to make a longer chain?

9 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Tom, are you saying to make a longer chain?

No.   It's cheaper to make your own loops from spools of chain, than buying loops already made up.  I thought maybe you might go through a bunch of loops of chain cutting that up, even after pressure washing it.

11 minutes ago, Tom King said:

No.   It's cheaper to make your own loops from spools of chain, than buying loops already made up.  I thought maybe you might go through a bunch of loops of chain cutting that up, even after pressure washing it.

Oh ok got you. We've got 5 or 6 chains and a file station set up on the bed of the truck. After two or three come off, my friend Paul will go touch them up. I've got a rotating supply of sharp blades and I don't even know how to sharpen them. It's great!