Hiding kerf cuts for deck rimjoist

Not sure if this belongs here but here it goes. I plan to build a floating deck this summer. There is a portion of it which will be rounded. In order to make it rounded, I will need to kerf cut the rim joist for the rounded section. How do I hide the kerf cuts in the rim joist without overlapping it with the deck boards?

Rim joist is a term that talks about a structural support underneath the deck surface. It seems you are attempting some form of banding. I don’t know a good way to band a deck like that. Hopefully someone else can help. That’s not a thing I have seen done. 

• Like 1

How large is the curve's radius? If it is fairly tight, you might get away with routing a recess on the visible edge and cutting a curved strip from a wide board to fill it, hiding the kerfs. But something like that is not going to stay together well outdoors.

Another option for a smallish radius would be to carve out a curved corner piece from a thicker block, then but the straight facia boards against it.

If you are doing a long, sweeping curve, carving curved facia from thicker stock might be possible, but likely to leave you with several butt joints along the span.

What kind of wood? It is surprising how tight a radius you can get by steaming bending. Check out this video . He bends 2.25" thick red oak to a 30" radius. If it's a wide sweeping curve, then I bet you could do it even with kiln dried stock.

Edit: Another thought. If you aren't opposed to composite decking (I am), It bends very easily when it's heated. There are several videos showing the process.

I wonder if filling the kerfs with a glue/sawdust mixture might work?  Put it in the cuts before you bend, and scrape/sand after.  It certainly wouldn't be invisible with a clear finish, but better than nothing.

How are you planning to finish the deck surface?

A lot depends on the deck material, too. Most of the proposed solutions aren't going to do well with home center treated pine decking. 

For a long sweep, steam bending could work, as could bent laminations, with the right glue. How will you fasten the facia in place, and how will the deck be finished?

37 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

If you cut out the backs to bend the wood, will this make it more likely to rot out?

That's a good point. Dousing those kerfs with preservative would be in order. I can't see any way of hiding the kerfs unless the decking is run over top of the banding. I still think steam bending would deliver the best, strongest & most appealing result.

11 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Wouldn't PVC boards bend easier without kerfing it. I believe its available with wood grain embossed into it? Just a thought.

Yes. You are also correct about the wood grain although its raised grain. I used it our deck.