wax for my bench and machines

man of wood

It's time to wax my bench, and I have some soapstone sealer and was thing of using it. It seem to have a very hard finish. It's made with walnut oil and pure Carnauba wax.  My question is......   Do you think this will mess with any of my stains or wood projects in any way?????  this stuff takes 5 to 7 days to cure...........

do you think it would be good on my machine too???

thanks

Thomas

Dang bud, back in the early 60’s I waxed my surfboard with paraffin but have never waxed my workbench. I use Johnson paste wax on my tools and have never had a problem. If I were to wax my bench it would probably be with the Johnson, not to say that yours wouldn’t work without problems. I’m guessing that you’re doing this to mitigate glue droppings? 

• Like 1

I agree that it should not be a problem one cured/dried.  The product sounds like a lot of bother though just because you happen to have it.  Your bench is your primary work holding tool.  I am not one who likes a bench top that looks like it hasn't seen any love in a century but, I don't like them slick either. To each their own.

I wouldn't wax a bench top. You want it to have some grip. My hard maple bench was sanded to 80 grit & then just 1 coat of Danish Oil. I think it's just about the perfect surface; grippy enough that stuff doesn't slide away & glue releases quite easily.

• Like 2

Yes it's for glue droppings and like a coating on my top and have used  paste wax for years. I was thinking this other wax would be harder. A lot of you like the non slip top..... I think it is because you use hand tools and that makes sense. Not being a big hand tool guy I like being able to slide my pieces on a bench top, not worrying about scratching or marring it.  (I have clamps)

Just an after thought........  I think a flat and smooth surface can make the top sticky......... Like a lay-out table used in inspection labs.

This is why I turn to this site, you all have given me much to think about........ Thank you

Its does sound like it would be good for my machines.

Oh hay gee-dub,,,, I agree,..My bench top gets a lot of work, but I do not drill into it..... I think some maintenance is necessary.......Hell if it gets too bad, I will just make a new one......... witch would be fun