Sawstop PCS 1.75HP or 3HP?

Michark

I am planning on purchasing a SawStop PCS in a couple of weeks, but struggling to decide on the 1.75HP or 3HP model. I don’t know what the limitations of the 1.75HP will be or if the 3HP is really necessary for someone who isn’t doing any production work (mostly just weekend furniture projects and things around the house). 

Anyone have any good reasons for 1.75HP over 3HP or vice versa? Anything I am not going to be able to do with the 1.75HP?

I am not against paying the $400 more for the 3HP,  but I also don’t want to spend more than I have to at this point in time. Additionally, my shop doubles as my garage and I don’t currently have a 220v outlet available to power the 3HP.  So I would have to pay an electrician a couple hundred to install, which just adds to the overall cost of the 3HP option. 

Thanks ahead of time!

I have the 1.75 HP version, the biggest challenge with the 1.75 is cutting thicker stock or really hard species but I have done both with my saw. you just need to slow down some with your feed rate and make sure you blades are good quality, shape and clean and you should be happy.  I went wit hth e1.75 HP for the same reason you mentioned, I have one 220 outlet in my shop but it wasn't in a convenient location for the saw.

I purchased the 1.75 hp PCS unit about six years ago and after having it 4 years I struggled time and time again cutting through thick stock and kept tripping the reset button cutting  through thick stock about a dozen times. I definitely regret it not buying the 3 hp industrial sawstop. But I did call SAWSTOP last year and purchased a 3 hp upgrade motor that fit perfectly into my 1.75 Hp PCS that ended up costing about $650. now I love the everything about it, I can now rip through 2-3’’ thick stock without any hesitation and absolutely love it! 
if I knew back then what I know now I would not have hesitated for a second to purchase the 3 hp industrial cabinet saw even if you have to have a 240 V line ran to your shop....so don’t pinch on a few hundred dollars your call ready spending a few thousand for a major investment.

After studying the specifications I realize that the 3 hp industrial cabinet comes with a much larger table. Since I have a small shop this does not bother me and I plan on building a folding outfeed table over the winter months. So if you are debating whether to spend an extra 400 bucks DO NOT  hesitate it is totally worth it if you cut thick stock and who does not if you have an amazing cabinet Saw!  

I had a craftsman table saw for 15 years and then a Ryobi table saw for about 20 years and the difference is night and day compared old loud table saws I used for years 
it has been such a blessing to have such a nice quiet heavy duty table saw that is extremely accurate, 35’’ rip fence and a hydraulic $300 mobile base which was worth every penny to be able to move my saw around the shop as needed

On 10/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, JohnG said:

If you get the 36” or 52” fence, it is the same fence on 1.75 and 3hp. It’s just the 30” fence option that is different. 

I see that now. That wasn’t the case when I bought mine. I stand corrected...

That said, the T-Glide fence is way nicer.