Help with Workbench

Hammer5573

I lined mine with leather, rough side out. there's a store here that sells nothing but hides & I got a small one for around $100. With that, I did a front vise & twin screw end vise and a bunch of clamps. I still have enough to do a bunch more clamps.

I can't imagine a better jaw lining material; grips well, leaves no marks and is really tough, much more so than cork. Smells nice too.

Lots of folks likw the 'crubber', cork & rubber blend that Rockler (I think) sells. Very non-slip, probably won't dry out like leather eventually does, but probably nowhere near as tough as cowhide.

I use a low-budget pipe clamp vise on the end of my bench, and the chop is 2x SPF construction lumber. Hasn't marred a workpiece yet, but does need a little extra squeeze to grip against shearing forces.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Lots of folks likw the 'crubber', cork & rubber blend that Rockler (I think) sells. Very non-slip, probably won't dry out like leather eventually does, but probably nowhere near as tough as cowhide.

I have crubber on my moxon vise and love it! if my  bench vise leather every goes south I will replace it with this. I got mine from Benchcrafted at Handworks.

1 hour ago, Hammer5573 said:

I GUESS LEATHER IS HOW I'LL GO. I JUST PURCHASED A 3X1' PIECE OF LEATHER FROM MONTANA LEATHER FOR $35.00. WHATS TYPE OF ADHESIVE DO I USE...?

I used PVA glue. It's kinda permanent, but that's all I had on hand & I'll be worn out long before that leather is.