Pennsylvania spice box build

Chip Sawdust

I normally don’t start threads until I’m close to done but this one started out with an oops so I’ll toss it out here for opinions. I think I know what I’m supposed to do, but it never hurts to kibbutz here :) 

I'm building this for my wife for Christmas, with a few changes from Latta’s plans to suit my wife’s use of it. 

First off I needed wood 11” wide, and I thought I had that but it turns out I could only make it 10 7/8” due to a dip in one side of the board. No biggie, just subtract 1/8” from the depth of everything. I think I can handle that. 

The top is dovetailed to the side (as is the bottom bit the top is my problem), and there’s a groove along the back to accept the back of the box. I forgot to allow for the groove. I read “dovetail the top” and away I went. So I’m missing about a half inch in the back for the groove. I’m thinking just shorten the rear dovetail and make the groove anyway, what think? 

The chalk line is about where the groove is supposed to go...

ED175C48-4422-4B19-9810-5AE7F25E0E55.jpeg

The rearmost dovetail is already a bit smaller, but I think it would survive being smaller yet. I don’t think the groove can go into the tails, but maybe. So I’m pondering... and asking for input :) 

A groove  (not a rabbet) can be made to stop before it appears on the outside of the cabinet. That should not affect the exterior appearance at all.  The end pin for the top and bottom , if they are affectied inside by the broove couls be a little delicate unitl it is assembled.  Good luck.

I agree it’ll be a bit delicate, thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking I’ll try that instead of making the tail smaller. It’ll look worse if it’s half an inch smaller than it’s supposed to be. Now I need to take a look at the rest of it and make sure whatever change I make won’t affect something else I’ve forgotten to thoroughly research! 
It’s no wonder Latta said it was quite a joinery project. 

So I cut the groove perfectly with my router and a spiral upcut bit. 
On the wrong side of the board. 
Ok so I cut a piece and put it in the groove as a patch, flipped the board over and started the cut on the other side. 
The bit came loose and cut all the way through the board.

I’m done for the day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

33 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

So I cut the groove perfectly with my router and a spiral upcut bit. 
On the wrong side of the board. 
Ok so I cut a piece and put it in the groove as a patch, flipped the board over and started the cut on the other side. 
The bit came loose and cut all the way through the board.

I’m done for the day. 

Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield..  Rough day in the shop for sure!

• Haha 1

So I got the groove on the correct side... found a little bit of sawdust in between the collet grooves on the router, cleaned that out, tightened the heck out of it, no problems. Still not trusting it, I did run a test groove on another piece (checking for depth) so all is well. Now to fix the piece that tried to split off; two grooves that close on opposite sides of the same board, to be expected. Got that glued and clamped. 
Next is build the bottom piece; experience with the top will help make that correct. Lots of little details,like different depth grooves on the top and bottom, both 1/4” but one deeper than the other. Stuff like that sometimes catches me out, so I decided to slow down. :) 

When that happened to me a couple of years ago,  It happened repeatedly no matter how much I tightened the collet.  I believe that It happened because I was inserting the bit all the way to the bottom and the collet would not tightened properly.  By repeating the mistake serveral times I damage the collet.  New collet and raise the bits up about 1/8" from the bottm and have not had the problem since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, Ronn W said:

When that happened to me a couple of years ago,  It happened repeatedly no matter how much I tightened the collet.  I believe that It happened because I was inserting the bit all the way to the bottom and the collet would not tightened properly.  By repeating the mistake serveral times I damage the collet.  New collet and raise the bits up about 1/8" from the bottm and have not had the problem since.

The thing is with this little DeWalt router, dropping the bit to the bottom takes it well into the flutes. I place it as far in as a little short of the flutes then tighten the crap out of it. Used it yesterday again, a little scared lol but it worked fine. My Bosch never has the problem but it’s upside down isn’t he router table most of the time so that may make a difference. I also sometimes swap out the 1/2” for the 1/4” which may help knock loose some of the issues. 

Yesterday it was too cold in the shop to move my cheap HF DC hose, so it broke when I tried to bend it around the corner to my router table. Time for better stuff I reckon.

09D96CBD-3DDC-40F6-BC1E-433867CBB4A1.jpeg

Started on the front feet as well. Decided to cut them out then plane them from 3/4” to 5/8” which worked out ok although I wasn’t sure it would. 
A 7/8” Forstner and my small Grizzly bandsaw (which is ok for this kind of work but is NOT a good bandsaw) cut them out. I’ll smooth the curves on my oscillator later on. 

BACEA0ED-F154-4136-A708-15A7D1F965ED.jpeg

• Like 1