Pennsylvania spice box build

Chip Sawdust

5 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I think that breaking that profile into more managable sections and gluing it back up at the end is the way to go. I can't see how you would maintain a reference face, otherwise.

Doing it in sections will work fine.  All your glue lines will be lost in the design of the overall profile.  I did something similar to this years ago using three different crown moldings to make a mantel for our fire place. 

On 2/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, duckkisser said:

will you be adding in a lock for the sugar? :)

I know many old spicy boxes had a area to put expensive sugar in the 1800s also expensive silver might be stored in a spice box. 

Funny you should ask :) I have a mortise lock ready to go, and only Mama will have the key. So if she wants to put sugar in there, I’ll never know! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

If I read that right, this is for the drawer bottom? If so, running the grain across the width is good, as the rear can be left to expand outward. 

Thanks Highlander, I was worried about whether I got it right. I ALWAYS use plywood but this plan calls for 1/4” bottoms so I cut everything with that in mind then D’OH realized all my “1/4” ply is 3/16” *shrug*

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So before the end of May I finally got around to trying out some router combinations for the crown moulding. I did at least a dozen, no, I think more than that, bit changes/setups in order to get a profile that I like. It's close to the one in the plan but then again, this is MY project so the plan doesn't have to be followed exactly in every way. That said, it was still a PITA to get what looks like the right profile. So... I managed to do it with two router bits and some judicious hand planing, and I think I have what will be a good setup. My test pieces were in pine, and I haven't cut the piece of thick sapele yet to make the actual piece, but it took a fair chunk of my afternoon to get to this point and after that I had other things I had to take care of.

The picture shows three bits but after consideration take the small one out of the equation and that's what I'll use. OK there are five bits, ignore the ones on the top of the pic. The profile in the lower right corner is what matches.

4E4A8C8E-88EC-4047-BFBE-93E808DE5F6C_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 6:21 AM, treeslayer said:

Looks great to me @Chip Sawdust, sometimes it just takes a while to get things the way you want them, but not wasted time IMO, you learned something and shop time is always good. 

OK that's the silver lining so I'll take it. No shop time is BAD shop time :)

• Like 2