Dining Table & Benches

Chestnut

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

So I'm running a bit late for something of this size, but here goes nothing. My mom informed me that a great Christmas gift for my sister would be a new dining table. My sister's kitchen is very small and is dominated by a 78" x 44" monster dining table that they were able to get for free. My sister apparently has wanted to ask me to make something for a long while but reportedly was always too sheepish to ask. The table area in their kitchen is around 9' x 6' but also includes the main walkway from their primary exterior door and the rest of the house. So my mom did the leg work got me to agree to the table and helped my sister get dimensions. The big thing wanted is a table around the size of 48" x 32". This should be a good sized table for the family of 4.

1164572571_ElizabethTable.thumb.jpg.dd304993966d1ff5f2712bd337d50f9d.jpg

The above is my idea that she thought looked nice. So I'm going to move forward with this plan. I haven't decided If I'm goign to do half laps or bridle joints for the legs or just do regular M&T.

Question regards the intersection of the legs or the attachment of the legs at the base ?

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I think M&T will look good. Will there be a cross member between trestles?

Yes there will be.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Question regards the intersection of the legs or the attachment of the legs at the base ?

Attachment of the legs at the base and top.

9 hours ago, Ronn W said:

How thick are the legs?  Looks like a job for domino man.  Especially if the les are thicker than 3/4" (double dominos.)

Probably shoot for 1.5-2". I have no hard and fast plans on this. I was thinking 2 wide floating tenons. I have some pre-made stock that is near 2" wide.

8 hours ago, Chet said:

With the style of table you have there half lap with contrasting pins, maybe 3/8 dia. in size would look nice... I think... yea I am pretty sure it would look good.;)

I think so too... the angled half laps are giving me pause though. Not an easy thing to do.

9 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

No problem for Drew....there's a long weekend coming up!

9 hours ago, Mark J said:

So this is instead of, or during, Megan's dining room chair build and your Rubo?  :D  

I'm struggling on the chairs. I don't know why but i just can't get into them.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

If you don't live within driving distance it's the one product offered at Menards that may be worth paying shipping for. On sale they get down to $8.

I bought 14 at $9 and the shipping was only $30, which isn't to bad then you consider the weight of 14 clamps.  They were shipped from the closest store to me which was four states away in Wyoming.

I have some Bessy's and you can see the differences but the differences aren't worth the difference in price AND I wish the Bessy handles were like the ones on the Masterforce, I think that part is actually superior to Bessy.  Down side, the plastic pads come off to easily, I think I am going to replace them all with leather.

36 minutes ago, Chet said:

Down side, the plastic pads come off to easily, I think I am going to replace them all with leather.

Yeah the plastic pads are a complete joke. I tear them off from day 1 and use the clamps naked. I use cauls or other clamps if i need to clamp on finished pieces. That said mine don't mark the surface much, I never really tighten these all that much If i don't need to.