Dining Table & Benches

Chestnut

Moving along nicely. Gluing up thinner boards to make thicker stock can be grunt work, but you are right it has it's advantages in that you can pick your best outside surfaces. 

Question on stock, I thought you were using pine for this. Is it going to be pine for the top and birch for the base or did you just decide to go with birch. 

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

I always marvel that you can build this way. :)  

For the trestle sides I had to make a drawing. The dimensions for the angles were too complicated to remember.Though i forgot to dimension my drawing so i had to get the dimensions by scaling off the computer screen.

1129190923.thumb.jpg.da88bc1a30b35d07385b8bf0caef74d7.jpg

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

Moving along nicely. Gluing up thinner boards to make thicker stock can be grunt work, but you are right it has it's advantages in that you can pick your best outside surfaces. 

Question on stock, I thought you were using pine for this. Is it going to be pine for the top and birch for the base or did you just decide to go with birch. 

It was always going to be birch. If i mentioned pine somewhere I must have been sleep typing. I get a pretty good allergic reaction to some of the pine species, I think fir, so i try to avoid using them.

7 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Is the size going to be different?

I think I'm going to do 49" instead of 48" I want to make sure that the benches slide underneath the table as that was also a major requirement. Doing 49" allows me to increase the length of the benches slightly to accomplish this. 32" will be the width.

8 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Whenever I start a project on paper it never ends up the way I drew it. Same kinda goes for purchased plans. But that's part of the beauty of hand made stuff, it's yours, and only yours.

Where's the project at now? :) 

This on is staying pretty close to the design. Last night I was working on getting the rails for the benches milled and joinery cut. Tonight and this weekend will be seats for the benches and the top for the table. I need to mill everything as the material just dipped under 10% MC.

I've had to be strategic because humidity is dropping in my house fast. Just this week it went from 45% to 35%. I do have my acclimation pile located in such a way that the furnace blows on it. So i can dry wood pretty fast, but it can't enter that pile tuneless it's down to 18%-20% or it'll dry too fast.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Love it, Drew! Awesome work, as usual. How do you like the horizontal opposing wedges? I've only used vertical single wedges for such a joint.

So i like the opposing wedges because I can make a square hole and don't have to worry about the angle pushing on just one side of the stretcher tenon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:27 AM, Chestnut said:

I got finish applied. I did 3 coats total on all the base parts for the table and benches. For the seats of the benches and the table top I put down 5 coats. The wood dents fairly easily so I'm a bit concerned on the long term durability. Beings this is for my sister I'm goign to tell her to use it hard and if I need to make a new top for it someday that will not be a problem. Hopefully it fares better than I'm expecting and will just get little dents and scratches giving it good character instead.

First, I think this turned out really nice.

In terms of the denting... that's the latest fashion.   All the furniture in the stores these days looks like someone took a hammer to it already.   So I wouldn't worry too much.

• Haha 1