New Incra 1000se, miter bar sits higher than table surface

woodbutcher

Whats up everyone,

So I just got my new Incra Miter 1000se, set it up, everything seems to be in working order. Except, the top of the miter bar is sitting higher than the surface of my table saw. Not by a huge amount, but enough to cause me problems. Its causing the work piece im cutting to not sit flat, and im getting inaccuracies in squareness because of this. 

It doesnt make any sense, the top of the bar is bolted to the underside of the base of the gauge. I cant see what the problem is. I thought the bar might have a crown in it, but a straight edge says it pretty close to flat. Im considering using thin washers between the top of the bar and the underside of the base. 

Thanks

That's odd. I've also got the 1000se. It's got a piece on the front for T shaped miter slots. Is that interfering somehow? The vertical position of the fence is also a little bit adjustable when you loosen the two bolts holding it to the rest of the gauge. Maybe loosen them and see if something is crooked?

43 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

That's odd. I've also got the 1000se. It's got a piece on the front for T shaped miter slots. Is that interfering somehow? The vertical position of the fence is also a little bit adjustable when you loosen the two bolts holding it to the rest of the gauge. Maybe loosen them and see if something is crooked?

I checked the T shaped thing, its not interfering. I did remove the aluminum fence, and still have the problem.

25 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

i have one and no problems with it, can you put a caliper on the bar to get a thickness and measure the depth of your mitre slot, is the whole bar high or just part?

Ill get an exact measurement on the thickness of the bar and the slot, I checked with just a ruler, its close, but from what I can tell the bar is not as thick as the slot is deep. lll make for certain with my calipers though.

My fence was just a few thousandths out of perpendicular to the table, which provided a lot of frustration until I figured out what it was. I had to spend a couple of hours sorting that & a couple of other issues out before it could be used reliably. It's been just about perfect since, but for such a pricey piece, it should come from the factory dead on. I've read a number of other reports of these things not being as good as they should.

The experience has turned me off of Incra.

15 hours ago, SawDustB said:

You were right Sawdust, it was the little T shaped thingy. I thought i pulled it off and checked it but I must not have. The bar sits flush with it off of there. Ill just run without it, I dont really see much use for it anyway. 

So with that settled, ive been monkeying around with the gauge trying to get it to cut square, and having a heck of a time. Itll be off one way, ill adjust a little, gets closer but not there, I adjust a little more, and its off by a mile the other direction. Very frustrating.

Least favorite part about woodworking, constantly having to fight with stuff to keep it cutting square.

How are you making it square. I get a machinist square and hold the fence and square to the blade and then tighten the screws. leaving the screws with a bit of snugness so you have to tap the fence to make the adjustment helps as well. I got both of mine dialed in  so over a 4' cut (using 5 cut method) they were 1/32" out of square this way and called that good enough.

• Like 1

I agree with Nut, using a machinist square against the fence and the blade, it's pretty easy to adjust and snug down in place. 

The incra has made my life so much better in the shop. Cutting square is no longer a worry. In fact cutting any angle is no longer a worry. I check the squareness of the gauge often, has never come out of square.

I have had the 1000 for 15 plus years and like it. I recently changed the bushings in the steel that slides through the table slot. Before squaring first make sure there is no slop in the slot. Then adjust to square. Mine was perfect set from the factory. It should be easy to adjust. Look online for a youtube can be very helpful too. Once you get it dialed in you will love it.

Thanks everyone. I initially used my reliable square up against the blade and the fence. That got me very close, but I wanted to be closer. My method for fine tuning, is the method Marc uses in his 5 cuts method on his cross cut sled build video. He uses a thin shim between the fence and a workpiece to move the fence in the proper direction by a few thousands or whatever. That method has worked for me before, and im sure itll work now. Just need to mess with it when im not already frustrated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 1:26 PM, BillyJack said:

So was it of square or other? I used one for years, a good, cheap tool in the shop..

Everything was fine once I took the t guide thing on the front. Doesnt seem to work with my table saw. It took alot of fiddling to get the fence square, I had to be very patient and use a consistent method of tuning to get it on. Im still not terribly impressed with this miter gauge, but It is working for me now.