flip top tool stand

duckkisser

One of the best Saturday mornings I spent toward shop improvements.  Dad is still using this one.

56f7ed7a9d8b1_fliptop-2009flipping.thumb.jpg.45940ddab2be72b87e9e83f293b34d18.jpgfliptop1.jpg.74554fc09ef70c25a3233470ba2e02ae.jpg

Things I did differently: I made one side of the table removable so I could change t-nut positions when changing machines being used on the stand.  I went through 3 interations, dad has always had the DW735 planer and the Ridgid belt/spindle sander.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Coop, assuming that is a Rigid oscillating sander on bottom, what did you do with all the bits and pieces from the front storage pockets?

They are in the drawer below. One of the few times I thought something thru before constructing. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I built a flip top for my shop and wisely thought it would be good if I made it big enough for four or more tools. Jointer, planer, sander, grinder and one other I never figured out how to fit :) 

It was about 3x5 and too big. It wasn’t handy. The bottom just collected junk, and it was a mess. Long story short, last year I converted it to a permanent top bench, put my new lathe on it, added a drawer for the turning tools and accessories (still pondering a second drawer) and I’m happy with that. 

So yeah, they can be good, but I tried to save space and ended up taking up space. So, unlike “some” people around here, definitely plan ahead! And for sure it has to be on casters.

• Like 1

thanks guys was thinking I would build two of Drew fishers flip top stands he built his with power plugged into it so the machines always have electricity no matter which side you flip up.  need to build one for my drum sander/planer and one for my belt sander/oscillating sander.  or my oscillating sander when I eventually get one.

• Like 1

I’ve built two of them (not based on the one linked above) and really like them. 
One holds my Ridgid sander and lunchbox planer, and the other holds my small drill press and 10” bandsaw.  The bandsaw ends up a bit higher than is ideal, but I’m tall so it isn’t too bad. I did not add a lower drawer to the second stand to save the height. 

• 3 months later...

I finally built one earlier this year for the Ridgid oscillating sander and Makita planer. First time building from plans but after looking a lots of Youtube on the subject, Fishers Shop plan looked like the best. I like that it can stay plugged in while rotating and I added a toggle clamp for the pivot lock. I'll try and post a pic later. Having a full shop in a two car garage can be challenging . 

• Like 1

i remembered to take a few pics today; Nothing earth shattering but i really like his design. The sander sits a little high but I have a bad neck and back anyway.  I changed the lock for the table pivot to one toggle clamp to make pivoting a little easier.  I used steel bushings in both surfaces where the pin travels to  keep wear and slop to a minimum.  No switching cords when switching tools.  Helps me in my shop. 

20200522_092503.jpg

20200522_092450.jpg

• Like 2