Help with buying drumsander/jointer

Valleyslim

After doing this hobby for about 1 year and a half, i've decided to get serious about tools purchases. I already budgeted to upgrade to a sawstop 3hp PCS which will leave me about 2500-3000 left over for a jointer and drumsander. I already have a planer but really want a drumsander and jointer as one of the things i enjoy the most is milling the wood to the size i need. I have 2 car garage worth of space to work in sharing the 3rd space for the wife's car. I purchased the plans to make a work table/outfeed table with built in dust collection. My question is if the saw dust collection system would be adequate enough for the Jointer and drumsander. Here is the video part of the dust collection system im planning on doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-FobIe8Uo . And this is the dust collector i ended u buying that will be hooked up to a dust right seperater. https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-reg-wall-mount-dust-collector-650-cfm. I also have a small rigid 4hp shop vac thats connected to a dust deputy. I was eyeing this jointer https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-8-x-72-Jointer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0656X but for the drum sander, i am not really sure what would be good for me. I make a lot of cutting boards and river tables or table tops in general but i pay the the lumber yard to do the flattening services for me at the moment. Thanks for any advice or feed back

I think you will need more then 3" dust port for that jointer and definitely will for a drum sander. I have 5" run to my jointer planer and 6" with two 4" drops to my drum sander. They are two different beasts one has chips so you need enough pipe and CFM to pull them the other is fine dust that if not extracted will cause the sand paper to clog and burn prematurely.

To your dust collection topic I will say that you should do as best you can.  I do not think that smaller units will be your ultimate dust collection solution so, you may want to spend less on the vac solution now and replace it later.  For any amount of milling of your own material a shop vac or a wall mounted blower will get buried in short order.

To your jointer choice I will simply state my opinion.  Good call on the spiral head.  I would move to a parallelogram bed jointer and I will explain why.  I never wanted to have to adjust dovetail-way jointer tables again.  Now, adjusting jointer tables is not something you do often.  Possibly only once in your life but, sometimes not only once.  Twice was enough for me; I moved on to p-beds.

To your sander topic; I am a Supermax 19-38 owner.  I researched the pee-wad out of drum sanders that were in the $1500 price tier.  Given the horror stories about changin abrasives, belt tracking, dust collection, etc. I chose the 19-38 and have been very happy on all counts.  The 16-32 was not available at the time I bought.

• Like 1

If the Supermax ds is all owners say it is then that’s they way to go. I pinched out and bought the Jet 16-32 and it works great but when time comes to trade out the paper, it is a bit of a pain. If I were 50 years younger, I would probably trade up. 

thanks for the suggestions, looks like supermax is the one i should be looking. However what unit should i be looking for the dust collector to handle the tablesaw/jointer/planer/ and drumsander? I dont mind if i have to constantly change tools ot dust collector as of right now, i have no dust collector. Everything i have is still new in the box and have been cleaning up after each project with a broom this past year and a half. I do however have a jet 1000 cfm ceiling dust filter that i run during and after shop use

You are most definitely NOT going to be happy with a broom, once you fire up the drum sander! :o

I can't recommend a particular make & model, but I will urge you to 'over buy' in that area. Your lungs will thank you later.

The spiral head jointer is a plus, since it makes small chips like confetti. Less likely to clog ductwork than the long shavings a straight knife jointer makes, but you still need air flow. I would say to buy the largest unit your budget and electrical supply can support.

• Like 1

You might peruse the Clearvue Cyclone and Oneida Air Systems websites for information.  These are at the high end of function, size and cost.  Which brings up two other considerations, how much you want to spend and how much space you have to work with.  Oneida has a new compact system that looks good.  @MJC just bought one, but we haven't heard how it worked out for him.