Bandsaw

noshopbob

A lot of work has been done with them.   I have a really old one, with probably every upgrade available done to it before the new, stiffer steel framed saws came out.  It's a usable tool, but I wished I had the money I put in it back to put towards a Rikon 10-326 when they first came out.  The newer models like that and the Laguna 14/12 are Much better saws, although double+ the price.

• Like 1

You are starting to nudge up into 50% of the price tier of a new saw that would do what that saw will do without all the bolt-ons.  I read hot and cold reports on riser blocks on the cast iron saws. I have an old Delta from the 50's and used as a 14" saw for curvy stuff it does great.  When I start to try to make it something it is not, it gets slippery pretty quick; if you add a "this" then you really ought to have a "that" and so forth.  If $400 is the top of your budget I would certainly give it a good looking at.  It will be more than $400 will buy you new.

I'd try negotiating a bit. If you're worried about parts, check out Iturra Design. He has lots of aftermarket upgrades and parts for them. I'd give you his phone number but I left my catalog at school before they shut it down for Covid. He's in Florida and shouldn't be too hard to locate online.

• Like 1

You can get enough parts off of ebay to build one from.  I've bought several parts from there over the years.  I think some people buy the old ones just to part out.

My advice is to buy a Rikon 10-326, or Laguna 14/12 depending on whichever one is on sale.  That coming from a person who wouldn't buy a new table saw, jointer, or planer.

There is no reason that I would buy a new big tool (other than the 14" bandsaw), except maybe a slider.   I understand them, know how to adjust them, and have decades using them.  I've used a table saw for over 50 years, and have no desire for the Sawstop safety device.  I still have all ten fingers, work with my hands every day, and remember the last time I needed a BandAid in 2014-my Friend's fault.  The old iron big tools are my preference, as long as they are significantly less money than a new one.  I don't mind spending money on tools, but I like to spread it around where it matters.

The only reason I would buy a new 14" bandsaw is that the newer ones are Much better machines than the old, flexible framed cast iron ones, and what I'm calling newer ones have only been available for a few years.  If a used 10-326 came up for half price of a new one, which I have not seen, I would jump on it.

I have four bandsaws, and the Delta 14" does what I need a 14" to do, or I would sell it, and buy a new one.  I would not recommend anyone buy one now, unless a few hundred dollars makes a real difference in your life.

• Like 1

Looks like a good choice.  I hadn't seen that model.  It looks just like the 326, with open stand, and 1/4 less hp, of which neither would matter much.  I could get by just fine with that saw.  Even though it says it can take a 3/4" blade, I'd rather run a 1/2" with more tension than it can put on a 3/4" blade.  A 1/2" blade will resaw just fine on that saw.

• Like 1