Homemade 12" Jointer

krtwood

This is probably why the popular DIY jointers on YT start with a cheap planer. All the crtical parts have already been assembled and (supposedly) tested to work together.

Aside from the helical / spiral cutterhead, is there some other reason you chose this route? I've considered one of these builds, and would love to understand the logic behind your decision.

The plot thickens.  I was just getting the cutterhead ready to ship back and thinking of my mostly kidding comment about having the loose bearing on camera, I went and got the other bearing I have (the one from Grizzly that was noisy out the box) and... it's not loose.

What.  The.  @#$%.

It's looser than it should be.  It goes on with just a light tap.  But it doesn't spin on the shaft.  So now my worry is I send it back and they're going to say it's within spec and I'm going to be on the hook for the shipping both ways.

Is it possible my good USA bearing is out of spec?  I don't have very good measuring devices for this sort of thing.  My dropped on the concrete cheap calipers say the shaft is about 1.181" which is 29.997 mm.  But we're talking differences of thousandths with a caliper I don't trust.  The cheap bearing seems to be .001" smaller.

I sent an email to Grizzly tech support with all this info.  

I still feel like the shaft is undersized but maybe it's within spec.  Maybe I need to order a third bearing.  The bearing on the other side is on there so tight I was going to ship it back with the bearing still on there because I couldn't get it off with my puller.

Sigh

EDIT:  The bearing from McMaster is actually made in Korea.  Hmm.

• Sad 2

On 8/5/2020 at 10:14 PM, krtwood said:

and whatever length belt(s) from McMaster.

have you thought about the link belts ? make any size you want, i put them on all my machines and they work great, HF is where i get them and see no difference in more expensive ones from other places

• Like 2

15 hours ago, treeslayer said:

have you thought about the link belts ? make any size you want, i put them on all my machines and they work great, HF is where i get them and see no difference in more expensive ones from other places

Yes, I realized I have enough link belt on hand after I wrote that.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work! That is great to be able to customize such a machine to fit your needs.

I wonder if edge jointing could benefit from a tall, slip-on auxillary fence, like most of us sometimes use on our saw fences?

Oh, I saw the chip pile in you IG post. Got any slick ideas for attaching dust collection? It sort of looked like the drop zone is tight enough that all you need is a catch-box.