Shinto Rasp

pkinneb

2 hours ago, Jonathan McCully said:

What do you typically use it for?

I bought mine when I did my sculpted bar stools for shaping but really anything you would use a rasp for. Its a great tool to start with as you use it you will find areas where a different rasp would be better then you can buy those as you need them. For $20 vs $80-$120 for a quality rasp its a bargain. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I bought mine when I did my sculpted bar stools for shaping but really anything you would use a rasp for. Its a great tool to start with as you use it you will find areas where a different rasp would be better then you can buy those as you need them. For $20 vs $80-$120 for a quality rasp its a bargain. 

Shinto rasps have their limitations in that they're flat rasps. BUT, they're great as flat rasps, especially for the money. 

I'm still lusting for a few Auriou and Liogier rasps, but as yet I've survived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick S said:

Shinto rasps have their limitations in that they're flat rasps. BUT, they're great as flat rasps, especially for the money. 

I'm still lusting for a few Auriou and Liogier rasps, but as yet I've survived.

I started with one Auriou a few years back and now I think I have 7 plus 4 riflers LOL. Once I started using them I found more uses and then I found the need to have a smaller, different shape, etc.

Just now, pkinneb said:

I started with one Auriou a few years back and now I think I have 7 plus 4 riflers LOL. Once I started using them I found more uses and then I found the need to have a smaller, different shape, etc.

The ones that I have used (on recommendations) have been larger and coarser than what I think I would use. Wasting away material can be very quick by several means. the finesse stuff is what i'm interested in.

• Like 1

It seems I'm using rasps for every project, whether to fair a curve or to round an edge. Shinto is a nice tool, but can't be used inside a concave curve, I have one and use it for aggressive stock removal. I also have Liogier and Auriou, like the Auriou a touch better. Only have a few coarser rasps for quick material removal, but I go to them first for this because of the control I have. Rasps really allow me to refine curves. Most of mine are finer rasps and I find new ways to use them every project.

Quick question, does anyone remember the organization that can "resharpen" rasps? I have one that I think I finally wore out.

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

It seems I'm using rasps for every project, whether to fair a curve or to round an edge. Shinto is a nice tool, but can't be used inside a concave curve, I have one and use it for aggressive stock removal. I also have Liogier and Auriou, like the Auriou a touch better. Only have a few coarser rasps for quick material removal, but I go to them first for this because of the control I have. Rasps really allow me to refine curves. Most of mine are finer rasps and I find new ways to use them every project.

Quick question, does anyone remember the organization that can "resharpen" rasps? I have one that I think I finally wore out.

I've seen Boggs Tool mentioned on another forum for file and rasp sharpening - have not used them.

https://boggstool.com/file-division

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

Can you resharpen hand stitched rasps like Auriou?  I would think that would be pretty labor intense.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Can you resharpen hand stitched rasps like Auriou?  I would think that would be pretty labor intense.

It's my understanding you can. I think the process can be used on both machine and hand stitched rasps. Their website do not specify they only sharpen machine stitched. Your question prompted me to do some research and I found on other sites that people have had Auriou rasps sharpened by Boggs, but there was a lot of questioning whether they would sharpen them. 

They use a liquid honing technique that uses abrasives in steam pressure to sharpen the back side of the teeth.

• Like 2