Shop Repairs And New Tools

freedhardwoods

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Shop looks good. I like how you have good lighting and a lot of space. I'm interested in this hydraulic motor the amish were using and how that worked. Sounds like you got a good deal from them.

My understanding is that Amish don't do electricity, so they retrofit tools like that to use hydraulic motors, with the hydraulic pressure supplied from a diesel-driven pump.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Shop looks good. I like how you have good lighting and a lot of space. I'm interested in this hydraulic motor the amish were using and how that worked. Sounds like you got a good deal from them.

22 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

My understanding is that Amish don't do electricity, so they retrofit tools like that to use hydraulic motors, with the hydraulic pressure supplied from a diesel-driven pump.

The Amish near me are slowly modernizing. When I was a kid, they weren't allowed to have air in tires, use electricity, use combines in fields, etc.

Now they can have all that. Some let electricity do more than others, which is why some still use hydraulic motors and some have switched to electric. It all has to come from a generator though.

I bought the Grizzly and PM saw from the same guy. They have SawStops now, run by hydraulic motors, with electricity from a generator making the trip mechanism work. They had sold the electric motors for the saws I bought, so he gave me both, never used, SawStop motors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

I realize you build cabinets for a living so you need all the space but man am I jealous of all your work support around tools. 

I know it may not look like it to some of you, but we don't have near enough room to work efficiently. We are working on a 47 cabinet job now and don't know where to put all the pieces.

• Sad 1

In my 600 ft garage I could I would make all door and drawers first then cut out the whole cabinet job. I could build about 5 reasonable cabinets at a time.build fit out hang doors and drawers and at the end of the day. At the end of the day I would haul 1.5 miles to a stage facility. Cost me $75 a month. As soon as I finished the jo the same rental facility rented me 24'  box trucks for $150  for the day. I would pay $200  to a friend to help load, unload and install uppers and put cabinets in place.

As far as I'm concerned you are making very good, positive progress. ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Paint, paint, paint. If I had to start all over I would paint my concrete walls. White, white, white,..

It doesn't look like it, but there is two coats of white paint on all the walls except the exhaust fan wall. That chipboard sucks it up like a sponge. The white paint does brighten the room a lot.

I'm impressed by your setup. And congratulations on getting large production jobs. I see in one of the pictures that it looks like a crop growing near your shop. Are you also a farmer? I like your beard. It makes me think of ZZ Top. Is there any danger with a long beard near machinery?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, curlyoak said:

I'm impressed by your setup. And congratulations on getting large production jobs. I see in one of the pictures that it looks like a crop growing near your shop. Are you also a farmer? I like your beard. It makes me think of ZZ Top. Is there any danger with a long beard near machinery?

Thanks. The corn is growing on what used to be forty acres my parents owned. Long story. Really wish I owned it and was farming, but I'm on an acre and a half off of the corner of the forty. I do grow a big garden. Used to be about 1/4 acre. I've cut back to about half that now.

I haven't caught my beard in machinery yet, but I did catch it on fire lighting my cutting torch several months ago. That was an exciting few seconds beating my hands on my chest to put it out.

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

I can tell it now.  Using any software to layout cabinets or by hand?

Here's what I am using.   https://cabinetsolutions.net/product/

I'm really happy with it. It does everything I need and lets you build cabinets just about any way you can imagine. It has a small learning curve, but once you get it set the way you want, you just enter width, depth, and height of a cabinet and it gives you all the parts, doors, and drawer sizes. You can print an assembly sheet for each cabinet. It costs about $600? per year.