The afterthought Table

Bmac

Thank you for sharing this! I’m impressed (definitely not surprised) and inspired. You are right, fairly simple but eloquent. The trouble with building furniture is that at some point, you just run out of space. This table will fit anywhere! As my wife will now have a reading area in our newly enlarged bedroom, a taller version will make an excellent lamp table. Perhaps I should hold off until you make yours and @JohnG‘s combo table? 

Bmac, have you ever been to any professional Woodworking schools? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mark J said:

I'm continually amazed at how you (and others) can just whip something like this up.  A long weekend project!  It would take me a long weekend just to think the thing up, let alone do drawings.

Well you are right, the idea took awhile to figure out. When I realized I needed a smaller table in the other thread I started playing around with some ideas. I was struggling with how to do the leg structure and attach it to the top. Thinking to use the hexagonal post started me toward this design, and it wasn't until I realized since the top was going to be thicker that I could use a decent sized dowel to hold the top to the leg column that I figured this design out. And the first table took a little longer to build. But once that was taken care of, this second table really was a long weekend project. 

8 hours ago, Coop said:

Bmac, have you ever been to any professional Woodworking schools? 

No schools, but I will say that doing some of Marc's projects with his instruction are like schools. I've also done other projects with plans and video instruction. Picking projects that get you out of your comfort zone is also helpful. The Sculptured Lecterns project was really a project I picked because it was a challenge and there were certain techniques I wanted to tackle. In the end I gave those lecterns away but retained the lessons from the making of them. To me that was the real purpose of that project.

My profession as a dentist helps too, I work in a 3-D world making and building things all day long. I am also a voracious reader of woodworking books. 

• Like 2

@Bmac, the hexagonal “post”, you mentioned was left over from the “original table”. Is the original table the journal on the “The Story of A Log”? I re-read that journal and don’t see the post being used. 

The reason for asking is, I was wondering if the width of the “post” was proportional to the width of the table top on this Afterthought Table?

2 hours ago, Coop said:

@Bmac, the hexagonal “post”, you mentioned was left over from the “original table”. Is the original table the journal on the “The Story of A Log”? I re-read that journal and don’t see the post being used. 

The reason for asking is, I was wondering if the width of the “post” was proportional to the width of the table top on this Afterthought Table?

Yes in theory the size of the post would be a factor. Both table tops were close to being the same width/size. But there is some room to play with, the leg could have a bigger sweep or curve to meet up with the table top bevel. This is as good as an alternative as changing the size of the hexagonal post. 

As for how I came up with the original size for the hexagonal post,  that was purely just to make the glue surfaces of the hexagon to be around the same width I wanted the legs to be, which was a little bigger than an inch. If you make the hexagonal post bigger than you either have wider legs or a wierd leg post interface. 

If I went with a bigger top I think I'd keep the size of the post the same and alter the sweep of the legs, I think that would be the nicest looking solution.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 4:17 AM, Bmac said:

As for how I came up with the original size for the hexagonal post,  that was purely just to make the glue surfaces of the hexagon to be around the same width I wanted the legs to be, which was a little bigger than an inch. If you make the hexagonal post bigger than you either have wider legs or a wierd leg post interface. 

If I went with a bigger top I think I'd keep the size of the post the same and alter the sweep of the legs, I think that would be the nicest looking solution.

One could enlarge the hexagon without also enlarging the leg mounting faces.  The hexagon need not be equilateral (6 identical sides).  Keep the leg faces fixed at 1 inch or so, but make the non-leg faces much longer until you have the size you want.  This will create a 6 sided figure that looks like a triangle with the 3 points nipped off.  

As an alternative to keeping the long sides of the hexagon flat that might look better one could make these surfaces concave.  In which case I might cut that curve the same radius of curvature as table top.  

Just a couple of ideas.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

One could enlarge the hexagon without also enlarging the leg mounting faces.  The hexagon need not be equilateral (6 identical sides).  Keep the leg faces fixed at 1 inch or so, but make the non-leg faces much longer until you have the size you want.  This will create a 6 sided figure that looks like a triangle with the 3 points nipped off.  

As an alternative to keeping the long sides of the hexagon flat that might look better one could make these surfaces concave.  In which case I might cut that curve the same radius of curvature as table top.  

Just a couple of ideas.  

Very viable options that I had not thought out. 

17 minutes ago, Coop said:

I was so impressed with this that I went to my office today and brought home another 8/4 walnut slab. I shan’t wait on @JohnG‘s combo table! :D

With @Bmac‘s permission to use his design as an inspiration?

And you thought you’d have nothing to do when you retired B) journal, journal, journal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I was so impressed with this that I went to my office today and brought home another 8/4 walnut slab. I shan’t wait on @JohnG‘s combo table! :D

With @Bmac‘s permission to use his design as an inspiration?

Permission granted, enthusiastically. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...