Which brand of router bit?

MrMayor

Thank you for the information. I looked at the Whiteside site and may buy a bit or two. Expensive and perfect if it is a tool of the trade. For me, well, I'm an amateur.

Is there a 'universal' size for a rabbet bit? I've seen some with multiple bearings. Should I stay away from those? I have a Dewalt plunge router.

The bearings are a plus. It allows you to adjust the width of your rabbet, thus making it somewhat of a universal bit, such as this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Rabbeting-interchangeable-bearings-32-522/dp/B00004T7FE/ref=asc_df_B00004T7FE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309735728871&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16129230918225166261&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027816&hvtargid=pla-436133781513&psc=1

The disadvantage of the bearing would be if you are using the router in a router table and you wanted to use your fence to cut a rabbet wider than the bearing allowed.

• Like 1

Bosch, CMT, Whiteside, Freud and Amana are good.

With CMT there are two versions.   They have a contractor line... these tend to be HSS or really thin carbide.   The Orange CMT are the higher quality and use better carbide tips.   They have similar differentiation on their table saw blades and such too.

I have a couple of the CMT contractor bits I got at Menards, but they're small like a 3/16" roundovers with 1/4" shafts for use in a trim router. they're not really doing a lot of heavy cutting and have been fine.

Most of what's at the hardware stores are 1/4" shafts.   I usually end up ordering Whiteside off amazon(I think they come from routerbitworld).   Although I have a couple bits from Rockler and those have been fine as well.