New Living Room Furniture

Askland09

Really nice. Yes i agree with ross make the under bevel a lot larger and it'll lighten the top quite a bit. It'll also add some visual height to the piece. You could even add chamfers to the legs to add some depth and change the look as well. Don't have to they look good.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 9:58 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Perhaps try and under-bevel around the edge of the top before planing it. That really lightens the look without sacrificing the strength and heft of the thicker piece.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:24 AM, Chestnut said:

Yes i agree with ross make the under bevel a lot larger and it'll lighten the top quite a bit. It'll also add some visual height to the piece.

I was thinking this was going to be the best option as well.  There is a 15 degree under bevel on the piece as of right now but I'm unsure of what degree to take it to without making it look goofy or just weird (if that makes sense).  Would doubling the angle be too steep? Or should I just plane the top down?  The total thickness of the top is an 1 5/8" and was thinking if I took it down to 1.5" that would help out quite a bit.

9 minutes ago, Askland09 said:

There is a 15 degree under bevel on the piece as of right now but I'm unsure of what degree to take it to without making it look goofy or just weird (if that makes sense).

Yes I think I would make the angle a little steeper, but just as important to the angle is where the under cut starts in relation to the top edge.  You want to decide on how thick you want the outside edge of the top to be.   The nice thing about it is you can sneak up on it, take an 1/8" off and see how it looks.  If you not happy take another 1/8" and so on until your happy. 

• Like 1

This is what I would do in a similar situation. Not right or wrong, just what I would do.

Divide the thickness by 5, and strike a line two fifths down from the top edge. Divide the distance from the face of a leg to the edge of the top by 5 as well. Strike a line three fifths in from the outside edge, under the top. Plane or saw a bevel between those two lines. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/5/2022 at 3:34 PM, Chestnut said:

So your first post indicated a whole set for the living room. What's next? Is there more of the spalted maple to come?

The next piece will be a coffee table. A lot less of the spalted stuff for that but also still hammering out a design that I would like for it as well

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, Coop said:

Very good blend of woods and nice design and execution. 

I like to think my execution of proportions has gotten a little better. As well as thickness of materials. The end table has a C-H-U-N-K-Y top and it doesn’t look…..right (in retrospect). But I honestly feel like this new sofa table is significantly better. I’m quite proud of it

On 3/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, Askland09 said:

The end table has a C-H-U-N-K-Y top and it doesn’t look…

You could solve that with a bit more under bevel or just run the top through the planer and reduce the thickness a bit.

I agree I think the sofa table proportions are a lot less chunky. That is a look I personally find appealing though often i feel in the minority with that. Most of the furniture Jory Bringham makes and some of phillip morley's is CHUNKY and people seem to love it.