Michael Fortune #1 Chair Build

pkinneb

On 2/25/2022 at 9:05 AM, Chestnut said:

Hum interesting i recently read that article from Mr. Boggs and he mentioned bark powder tea to get an even result. I was thinking of this for a future project myself. (I didn't watch the video but read an article https://www.popularwoodworking.com/finishing/ebonizing_wood/)

The bark powder isn't expensive I thought about grabbing some. https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/BKT2-P3850.aspx#:~:text=This Bark Tan %26 Dye (Quebracho,natural leather dye like Quebracho. I feel like 2 lbs is a lot I'd split it with ya if you were interested Paul.

Drew Its already on the way and once it arrives I will put some in a container and drop it by your place. No way I would ever use all that when it only takes a teaspoon :) 

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:22 AM, Chestnut said:

Was there a portion of the ash that got the iron acetate applied without the bark tan? Man that walnut turned jet black...

No but I think I will do the bottom bare section without the bark tan as that would be interesting to see and if I need the bare color I can look at the back LOL...more to come.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 9:01 PM, Coop said:

@pkinneb,  when will you be building the bar stools and pool chairs?

Probably not until late summer. I am finishing up my router table top redu, need to finish this chair, and I have an outdoor project that will be done next.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I found this while googling the #1 chair. I took the class and am in a few of your pictures (think beer shirts). I am struggling a bit with the seat cushion, trying to find the materials and figuring out how to use the bowing jig to prevent wrinkles as Michael didn't cover this in as much detail as I need. I ended up using India ink for the ebonizing and it worked well.

Made a steam box and did locate some air dried walnut. Have to make the bending forms. Do you remeber if the legs start out as 5/4 or 6/4? Have really enjoyed reliving the class through your posts.

Neil

On 4/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, noviceneil said:

So I found this while googling the #1 chair. I took the class and am in a few of your pictures (think beer shirts). I am struggling a bit with the seat cushion, trying to find the materials and figuring out how to use the bowing jig to prevent wrinkles as Michael didn't cover this in as much detail as I need. I ended up using India ink for the ebonizing and it worked well.

Made a steam box and did locate some air dried walnut. Have to make the bending forms. Do you remeber if the legs start out as 5/4 or 6/4? Have really enjoyed reliving the class through your posts.

Neil

Hey Neil welcome to the forum!

I show the legs would be 8/4 as the final blank size should be 1 5/8" x 1 3/4", FWIW I am getting this out of the class handout.

• 7 months later...
On 11/22/2022 at 11:01 AM, Chestnut said:

Man this chair is looking awesome.

I'm also jealous of the gun stock vise. I've been thinking more and more about making a custom stock for one of my rifles with material from tree's I've milled myself.

Watch for sales they come up quite often I think I got mine for about $100 at Woodcraft. Both it and my pattern makers vise have come in handy on this project and being on the adjustable bench is nice as well.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 7:36 PM, Mark J said:

I'm more than impressed.  Are you going to make a companion?

Thanks! That's the plan. I need to source some air dried walnut first though. I also have several other projects I need to knock out. It's been a really busy year at work so I am waaay behind :)

• Like 1